Do you Tip Your Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
My friend and I are finishing up our certification this weekend. Does anyone know if it customary to tip your dive instructor? If so, what is an appropriate amount?

I've taught for 5 years out of a retail shop and I have very rarely been tipped. Although it is good advice for new divers to be sure to tip divemasters and captains on charter boats. Ultimately the best thing you can do for an instructor is to continue to patronize his/her shop and give them your business later down the road. I'm sure that there will be some disagreement on this but this has been my experience. Oh, and be sure to buy them a beer if the class goes out after checkouts.

A

Honestly, no. I may buy them a beer or lunch on occasion.

I expect good instructors to have higher prices in the first place and I'm more than willing to pay those. I don't consider cost of a class in deciding who or where to get training. I save up for the better, more (most) expensive courses. For premium prices I also expect good instructors to be available for their former students "for life". To answer questions, provide tips and hints, or to take additional classes if I want to progress.

If you feel that paid less than it was worth for good or excellent instruction, I would tip and generously. If it fosters a positive relationship with a real quality instuctor its a small price to pay.

Of course you may not know how good or not so good your instruction was until some time has passed.

I'm a die hard loyal customer to my dive instructor and that is my tip to him. He's taken care of me on more than one occasion.

Really sort of depends. I've heard that you don't tip instructors, but I've taken that on a case by case basis.

I've had instructors that included an M&A attorney who makes more in a week than I do in a year and a retired orthopedic surgeon who drove a Porsche GT2. Needless to say I wasn't handing out $20's to those guys.

On the other hand, I've had instructors who I was sure lived in a car parked at the marina. I was a bit more generous with those guys.

I didn't tip my OWD instructor.
I did tip my AOW who also certified me on Nitrox he had my wife and daughter in the same class. I gave him $100.00.
He then took us on an outing with a paying customer.
I don't think he gets tips very often.
I think he would have invited to take us all week if it wasn't our last day.
I think it was more of a respect than monetary.
I will ask for him when I go for rescue diver in Bonaire

Yes.

Always tip your scuba instructor.

The best tip your instructor could possibly get would be a bottle of golden single malt Scotch whiskey. ALL dedicated scuba instructors enjoy sipping single malt Scotch upon the completion of their instructorly duties.

If your instructor is any kind of truly superior instructor at all, s/he will prefer Oban.

A bottle of Oban says "Thank You Dive Instructor!" to all those of us who care for our students. Contrary scuba instructors may enjoy Irish Whiskey (..."it's MY Island!" "You mean Ireland?" "Yes. It's Mine!"), however, only strokes drink blends. :wink:

If your instructor has the unmitigated temerity to refuse your tip, please PM me.

I will immediately provide an address to whence you can ship said tip to a far more deserving scuba instructor!

:D

The greatest tip is a fair reflection to the instructor of the course they just provided, money always helps but it is only temporary gratification, whereas feedback on what you liked of the course (or disliked) always helps them become a better instructor which in turn makes for more enjoyable classes while learning. Many times feedback on one level of training can be applied to other levels as well. By being able to offer a class that the student leaves feeling like they should've paid more for it will give the instructor so much more earning potential rather than just fitting a mold of another instructor. It is a wonderful compliment to have a returning student who had a choice on where to seek additional training or them refer folks to you. Now if you feel your instructor deserves some apple polishing, its perfectly ok to do as long as there isn't any kind of store policy (if the instructor works for a store) against it.

Schott

I've never tipped an instructor but I do go out of my way to recommend them when they're good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom