Do you take 2 or 4 tanks on a 2 tank dive boat charter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are these "doubles" some of y'all are speaking of? This is the sidemount forum ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I didn't make it clear in my initial post, but I'm sure it's fairly obvious that I don't currently do any side mount or even BM doubles diving. I just recently had the opportunity to try side mount at a Demo day here in Atlanta hosted by Divers Supply so that is my only experience so far with using two tanks at once. I'm most surprised by how many responded with using 3 tanks as that number never occurred to me as being an option. Is there a particular rule of thumb as far as how much air should be remaining in the lightly used tank after the first dive?

Still not real sure if dealing with two tanks on a rec charter boat will be worth it though, but I intended to try it out. Although I like JamesK's thinking a bit more as far as just diving with one side mounted tank when on a rec boat. I made a point to try a single tank at the Demo day and was suprised that trim wasn't as big an issue as I thought it would be.

Well I cannot edit my post, so I will just add a question here: What is your rigging system, and how to you make sure it is setup right when you move from tank to tank?
As you can tell from above, I currently don't have one. But your later posts brings up a good point for me to think about with regards to repeatability with a particular rigging system.

Thanks Again,

Paul

Although I like JamesK's thinking a bit more as far as just diving with one side mounted tank when on a rec boat. I made a point to try a single tank at the Demo day and was suprised that trim wasn't as big an issue as I thought it would be.

It works great IMO. I love diving single tank SM. Trim is no issue at all.

As you can tell from above, I currently don't have one. But your later posts brings up a good point for me to think about with regards to repeatability with a particular rigging system.

Thanks Again,

Paul

If you want to have consistent rigging, and will be renting tanks, then something like the a stage rigged cam band setup would be great. That way the clips stay at the same height every time you change tanks due to the strap length. However, you could also carry a measuring tape and once you have an idea where you need one tank setup, you can measure the cam band to make sure it is at the same height at the next tank.

I have found that dealing with two is in fact often a tighter fit than dealing with one on some boat's entries. But since two tanks is minimum for Solo diving I use two, even if one is back mounted and the "pony" bottle is sidemounted.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I didn't make it clear in my initial post, but I'm sure it's fairly obvious that I don't currently do any side mount or even BM doubles diving. I just recently had the opportunity to try side mount at a Demo day here in Atlanta hosted by Divers Supply so that is my only experience so far with using two tanks at once. I'm most surprised by how many responded with using 3 tanks as that number never occurred to me as being an option. Is there a particular rule of thumb as far as how much air should be remaining in the lightly used tank after the first dive?

Still not real sure if dealing with two tanks on a rec charter boat will be worth it though, but I intended to try it out. Although I like JamesK's thinking a bit more as far as just diving with one side mounted tank when on a rec boat. I made a point to try a single tank at the Demo day and was suprised that trim wasn't as big an issue as I thought it would be.

Thanks Again,

Paul
Just a few more things to think about Paul ...

Diving a single in sidemount works best if you're using an AL80 ... because it's relatively lightweight and becomes buoyant as it gets toward empty. Doesn't work so well with something like an HP100 ... it's doable (I've done it), but it requires some technique balancing the cylinder, and even with technique it's work.

As for your question about how far to empty one tank, it depends on whether you're diving with a buddy or not. If you are, you should be breathing your cylinders somewhat evenly, with the notion that since they're independent cylinders if you have to donate a reg you're not going to have that gas available to you at all ... so it wouldn't do to breathe one cylinder down much below what you'd consider a rock-bottom pressure for either you or a buddy. On the other hand, if you're solo diving, then that's not a concern, since it's unlikely in the extreme that you're going to need to hand off a reg to anyone. But you do still have to remember that as you breathe one tank down, it will become more buoyant than the one on the other side. Personally, even when solo diving, I still prefer to keep my cylinders within a few hundred psi of each other, both to keep my options open and to maintain a better balance on the rig.

Sidemount ... particularly for recreational divers ... is a fairly new thing, and there are no standardized methods of doing much of anything. Rigging, for example ... some people use cam bands, which are relatively simple to switch from tank to tank. Other people use hose clamps, which tend to stay with the tank. Which you use will determine your strategy for swapping tanks.

When I said I bring a third tank and a transfill whip, what I meant was that I'll swap out one cylinder and then transfill between the two I'm using in order to balance them out. Some folks wouldn't do that, but it works well for me.

As for extra tanks on boats ... it really depends on the boat. It's best to check ahead and make sure it's OK before making it part of your gas plan. Most of my local charters have plenty of room for a third tank, as long as everyone on board doesn't bring one ... and even then some can accommodate it.

The biggest problem I have with sidemount on boats is one that beano alluded to ... boat entries weren't made with sidemount in mind, and unless you're going off a swim platform you're often going to be forced to go through the entryway somewhat sideways, and doing an "angled" stride off the boat just to fit the tanks through. On smaller boats, I often find it easier to just drop the tanks overboard on a lanyard and clip them on once I'm in the water. But again, it's going to be situation-dependent.

There's lots to consider ... which is why this forum's handy. Seems like we all do something a little bit differently ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Is there a particular rule of thumb as far as how much air should be remaining in the lightly used tank after the first dive?

Assuming using 3 tanks:

My deal is to do the 'meat' of the dive balanced from side to side. Once the ascent has been commenced, which for most dives means gradually working up to the safety stop over 10-15 minutes, it's right side only till the end of the dive. Swap the right on the boat. On the second dive, breathe the right down to match the left, then balance side to side.

As JamesK noted, there are some reasons to like using a stage rigging system on sidemount tanks, especially when using rental tanks. Spacing is set up once, and then left alone

When I said I bring a third tank and a transfill whip, what I meant was that I'll swap out one cylinder and then transfill between the two I'm using in order to balance them out.

There used to be a place to get cheap transfill whips, but everywhere I look they are expensive. Do you just use one without a gauge anyway? Or have metal preives just gone up so much that they are $150.00 now?

There used to be a place to get cheap transfill whips, but everywhere I look they are expensive. Do you just use one without a gauge anyway? Or have metal preives just gone up so much that they are $150.00 now?

I don't even remember how much I paid, but it was probably something like $125 at the time (2004) ... I have a DIN-to-DIN whip with an analog gauge on one side. But I use it often, so it was worth the investment.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom