Do you recommend an Exposure suit in Jamaica?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maximdonch

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all...

I was wondering if anyone has done any dives in Jamaica in the month of April or May and can comment on whether or not you recommend an exposure suit.

My wife gets cold very easily so I am going to stuff a 3mil shorty in the bag, however if she catches me... I will need justification. :confused:

Otherwise... if you think the temperature is cold enough that I should consider please let me know, as I wasn't planning on bringing anything for me = (hefty guy with Hawaiian wet suit built in):mooner:

Before you comment on our destination...:no just know that it is a free trip... and any free trip is better than no trip at all.

We do plan to go to Bonaire in October.:)

I always wear an exposure suit, no matter what the temp is, at the minimum i like to wear a jumpsuit all the time so that i have full body protection, i always like to tell the story of the guy who went on a vacation with just a shorty cause he didnt get cold, got cut up really bad by some coral, then a month later his leg was in pain because there was coral growing in his leg, he than had to have the coral removed from his leg. Thats basically why i always wear a full jumpsuit at the minimum,

Well said...

I know it can happen... I choose to not touch the corals if I don't have too... but I understand that it could happen.

I am really more concerned about water temperature... would a 3mil be to warm? Obviously a 5 or 7mil might be a bit much.

I was in Jamaica, Negril, in January. The water temperature was a constant 81/82F. I wore a 3mm full and was comfortable. Some divers wearing the same were chilled after the second dive. I would recommend the 3mm suit. Especially if you get the opportunity to night dive (79F) you will appreciate that you did.

I would definitely recommend an exposure suit. The sun, coral, sand, etc. can be bad.
It is also easier to let water into a suit to cool off, but if you get cold, the only option is the boat.

1mm jumpsuit has always been adequate during cooler months, and just Lycra skins in summer/fall. This is doing one or two dives each day to about 30 meter max. More dives per day or persons easily chilled may need a 2 or 3 mm, but this has always been unnecessary for me and for most people I see diving in Jamaica. In the Bahamas, Florida Keys, Turks & Caicos, Virgin Islands, and other cooler waters a 3mm might be a good idea in winter, but Jamaica waters are usually very warm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom