Do you physically release your buddy's weights during the buddy check?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine are actually rated to 16, but I agree that overloading them can cause problems (I try to keep them under 8 as well). On the other hand two 10lb pouches is better than a 20lb belt.

When we need to use more than 20 lbs. on a diver, which is quite often, we start using belts/harnesses and putting some weight on them. I can't imagine a new diver even wanting to lift a BC with that much lead in it. And that is from experience as a new drysuit diver when I didn't know any better.
You shouldnt NEED to lift a BCD with the weights all in.. "Last in - first out" is quite apt for the weights if youre diving integrated. You then dont need to lift it, you dont risk putting them on top of the regs, you dont risk pinching the bladder.. And you get to practice ditching them every time you start taking your kit off..

Twenty pounds = 8 in each pouch and 4 on the belt. Properly weighted you should not need to ever drop more than that to start and ascent. And having the other 16 in the pouches will still allow you some control over the ascent.

OR

4 in each pouch and 12 on the belt. That way one can ditch one pouch and still control their ascent. Course they have to be willing to drop that pouch that may cost them 50 bucks plus the lead to replace. If they're not ok doing that they probably should not have bought that BC as their priorities are all screwed up over money vs life.

---------- Post added September 30th, 2013 at 06:17 PM ----------

You shouldnt NEED to lift a BCD with the weights all in.. "Last in - first out" is quite apt for the weights if youre diving integrated. You then dont need to lift it, you dont risk putting them on top of the regs, you dont risk pinching the bladder.. And you get to practice ditching them every time you start taking your kit off..

Shouldn't true, but this is what I see all the time at our training sites. People load the BC, heave it onto a tailgate or bench, then put it on and jump in. And the instructors say nothing because they are doing the same thing.

If "**** thats expensive" is what goes through your mind during an emergency, Im not sure it REALLY is an emergency in the first place :p

It might quickly BECOME one because of it of course..

I run a Ranger with a ripcord and if my 'buddy' pulled it for practice he would end up with a groin injury. It is a real pain to re-thread; I switched to it last year after trying another model that only used Velcro. On that model BC on my first dive I was at 90’ and looked down to see pouch hanging and dangling by a thread clip, sheer luck it did not dump fully loose. Turns out I hadn’t got it perfectly secure and when I went into the inner pouch to get my camera the pressure had ‘popped it loose’, this is why I went to a rip cord. Set correctly the first BC worked OK but it was a unsafe design. I like an Idiot proof positive lock design, they are solidly there until you pull the ripcord and then they are positively gone.
I dive warm water so weight ditching is not the critical factor it is with cold water where folks are carrying the much larger weight loads but if I was I think I would only carry the weight necessary for the rig in the integrated pouches and put the rest on a well-designed belt. With heavy suits and inherent buoyancy issues I would hate to unbuckle my rig to correct a problem and become a cork grasping at my rig.
I think it is a good idea during the planning stage and buddy check to become familiar with each other’s ditching system but to actually practice it is limited to the individual situation and BC design.

Twenty pounds = 8 in each pouch and 4 on the belt. Properly weighted you should not need to ever drop more than that to start and ascent. And having the other 16 in the pouches will still allow you some control over the ascent.

OR

4 in each pouch and 12 on the belt. That way one can ditch one pouch and still control their ascent. Course they have to be willing to drop that pouch that may cost them 50 bucks plus the lead to replace. If they're not ok doing that they probably should not have bought that BC as their priorities are all screwed up over money vs life.

Shouldn't true, but this is what I see all the time at our training sites. People load the BC, heave it onto a tailgate or bench, then put it on and jump in. And the instructors say nothing because they are doing the same thing.

Jim, do you have someone in a bp/w set up put the extra weight on the belt of the harness or a separate weight belt entirely?

I am currently way overweighted in my new drysuit but the drysuit course was included with the drysuit purchase - and let's just say I feel I got my money's worth. I could have learned more from a few hours cyber diving.

I used to wear no ditchable weight when I was diving in a 7mm suit - but I also switched out my
bp/w to a new Halcyon set up versus the patched together and slashed up Diverite rig I bought used from a guy about twice my size.

I've never practiced ditching weights during a buddy check but we are so heavily weighted (my dive group and I all have steel tanks) that we try to avoid spending too much time fussing around when we are geared up. It's usually a quick buddy check and then right into the water.

OR

I wear a back inflate, so the state of inflation doesn't impact the pocket insertion or release. The only time I will not use a belt is if I am diving with 20lbs total or less. I wear a maximum of 5 in each of the back trim pockets, and a maximum of 5 in each of the removable pockets. They are rated for 10 each. but I don't like how the rig feels with more than that. Anything extra goes on a belt.

---------- Post added September 30th, 2013 at 08:07 PM ----------

Jim, do you have someone in a bp/w set up put the extra weight on the belt of the harness or a separate weight belt entirely?

I am currently way overweighted in my new drysuit but the drysuit course was included with the drysuit purchase - and let's just say I feel I got my money's worth. I could have learned more from a few hours cyber diving.

I used to wear no ditchable weight when I was diving in a 7mm suit - but I also switched out my
bp/w to a new Halcyon set up versus the patched together and slashed up Diverite rig I bought used from a guy about twice my size.

I've never practiced ditching weights during a buddy check but we are so heavily weighted (my dive group and I all have steel tanks) that we try to avoid spending too much time fussing around when we are geared up. It's usually a quick buddy check and then right into the water.

FWIW Daniel just uses a belt with his HOG plate - of course, he is diving wet, not dry.

I HAVE done similar to that on occasion, but with one major difference. I dont load the BC first, then lift it. I set it up where its ready to be put on, THEN load it and don it. Yes, Im lazy and lift as little as possible. If I where to lift scrapiron for fun Id go to the gym, not to the beach :p

I don't know what brand BC pouch is rated for that much weight even. When we need to use more than 20 lbs. on a diver, which is quite often, we start using belts/harnesses and putting some weight on them. I can't imagine a new diver even wanting to lift a BC with that much lead in it. And that is from experience as a new drysuit diver when I didn't know any better.

My rule is no more than 8 lbs. in integrated pouches. Most are rated to ten but I don't like getting that close to the rating.
Welcome to Sherwood Scuba!
Avid BDC is a commmon BCD around here that takes 13 per pocket. Clearly stenciled on the pouch BTW. But as a rule we divide up the weight between pouches, belt and harness. That way you won't rocket to the surface should you need to(or loose!) ditch at depth.

I run a Ranger with a ripcord ......... I like an Idiot proof positive lock design, they are solidly there until you pull the ripcord and then they are positively gone.

Yeah I thought my Ranger was pretty positive too. However, I recently had a seam fail and one weight pouch fell out. It's a good thing I only had 3 lbs in it. It was an annoyance to be slightly positive for a while, but my buddy found the weight before we ascended and I clipped it to my rig. The Ranger is going back to Zeagle for repair!

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom