Do you own one of those pricey, fancy HID-light systems?

Do you own/ dive with a HID light system?

• You bet I do! And I'll even blast you in the face to prove it!

Votes: 32 76.2%
  • Bah....who needs one?!? I've got me trusty D-celled torch!

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sheck33 once bubbled...
quote: it amazes me that you imply that i could heat up the huge body of water i am diving in from 50 F to 200+ F with a mere 10 W HID bulb in a matter of minutes in order to 'cook' marine life. Even with a 200W halogen light, that convert more battery energy into heat than HID's do, that would be utterly impossible.

Psssst, sheck.

(<whisper> It was a joke)

I don't think your light hums or has dylithium crystals (the power source for the Starship Enterprise) either.

sheck33 once bubbled...
quote: nobody said you cant use smaller lights for communication, but HID's are far more efficient and far better to see than anything else.

By that same extention, double 80s would be better for the average rec dive, right?

Somehow, I didn't think that "More is better" was DIR ideology.

sheck33 once bubbled...
quote: the marine life i have encountered so far didnt seem to be bothered by it, and seals love it.

I'll throw the BS flag on that one. Your light in the eyes of a fish (especially at nite) is like you staring into a nuclear blast.

sheck33 once bubbled...
quote: well then, maybe we should go for a dive sometime :wink:

Sure.

You can even bring the light, if you promise not to turn it on. ;-)

agstreet once bubbled...
That's nice. Your *objectivity* is showing rather clearly.
Of course, to you they're a symbol of DIR, to be ridiculed and put down with stupid polls and lame innuendo.

Well... I did state that it's just what I feel about it personally. I do not have to be OBJECTIVE about it since I'm not mediating a legal dispute or anything of that sort :rolleyes: Hrmmmph.

You can't be objective and VOTE in polls. You need to take a stand and that's why the nature of this poll at least is already SUBJECTIVE for crying out loud.
Sheesh :D

agstreet once bubbled...
Of course, to you they're a symbol of DIR, to be ridiculed and put down with stupid polls and lame innuendo.

Oh yar just one more itsy bitsy thing.....WHERE ON EARTH WAS THERE ANY MENTION OF HID LIGHTS BEING A SYMBOL OF ANYTHING?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Did I type that mistakenly in in archaic Hebrew or something so that nobody including myself saw it????

In the short time since I've been on the forum I've noticed that there are ALREADY one two many threads calling for a rally behind DIR v.s. blah blah blah etc etc. People seem to be sick and tired of this topic and yet for some strange reason it keeps popping up.

It's just a poll to see how many people like HID lights and how many DO NOT. Please don't read overly much into it....some things in life really are only that simple. Isn't simple nice???

:wink:

I love it. Small streamlined canister, very nice design details, nice white light beam, a well protected bulb, good customer support. Since Terkel is a friend, I expect no less, but I still highly recommend them.

I find canister lights much easier to use, less awkward and bulky, and they make diving alot more fun. Like some others here, I dive in the Pacific Northwest, where vis tends to suck, so lights are vitally important for communication and safety as well as just being able to see cool stuff.

Even in water that is clear as a bell, though, I love using my light. Everything looks so pretty.

I think HID canister lights are becoming increasingly popular in recreational diving and are a great way to go.

When I look at critters now I try to keep them in the periphery of the light and not shine it right in their eyes, in case it does bother them.

On night dives, toward the end of the dive, when we're not looking at stuff, just doing stops, I like to turn my primary off and use my Scout to signal if necessary. That way I can play with the bioluminescence. It's also fun to watch other divers' lights at night from a distance; it's like a light show. And night dives for me are incredibly relaxing. Basking in the ambient glow while doing deco stops is just pure fun.

We stay in each other's line of sight when our lights are off, of course.

mars2u once bubbled...

Here's a better one. Signal him that you want to look at his light. When he gives it to you...Open it up, act like you're checking the inside, close it back up and hand it to him.

When you surface...blame Tourettes syndrom on him when other divers ask why he's cursing. Explain that you were trying to drain out the light "at depth" because you thought he was having problems with it by shinning it in your face and getting your attention and was just trying to help out.:D :wink:

Don't play games and exercise option number one.

because I have one on the way. Doing a wreck class (external) & the instructor didn't require it, but strongly recommended a canister light~~ with a goodman. Let's see, something about shooting a bag and needing a third hand rings a bell (hmmm...and made sense, too). It''ll be required for the penetration class.

I asked around about the Halogen vs HID, and general concensus was not to waste time with the Halogen. Better burn time, and as echoed elsewhere here, better for communicatin in mucky water.

As for fragility? From the info I found (and is somewhat born out in my experience with HID fixtures on dry land) is that it can be how you use them, i.e. short on/off cycles, that can be the real killer. Don't know about the U/W kind, but with the ones I've dealt with in things like warehouses & parking structures that tends to be reasonbly true. I was always told it was best to just leave them on if you can.

I love my 10watt HID DR. There's a reason why canisters are becoming so much more popular with "rec" divers. It's because they are so NICE. They are great for signalling and once you see a real "white" light you won't want to dive with another big/heavy hand held $200 yellow halogen. Get a goodman and then you can go hands free. Here in NE, canisters are great for hunting lobsters under rocks.

So what's the deal now, if anyone has some nice gear that makes them a DIR zealot? "Hey look that guy has an awesome light, lets get him."

You mean the Jedi Light Cannon?

I rib my buddies about that all the time.

I tell them I want to observe undersea life not cook it.

I make cracks about the humming noise, and changing the dylithium crystals.

I think that those things are grossly inconsiderate to undersea species whos eyes certainly can't handle that light, and to fellow divers, who don't want to.

DIR is a minimalist philosophy, leave that hunk of junk in on the boat unless you have a specific need for it.

boomx5 once bubbled...

Don't play games and exercise option number one.

Ah, OK...I guess the smilies didn't clue you in that I was joking. I play lots of fun games. Maybe you should try sometime:D :)

Again, the smilies indicate I was joking in my second sentence as well.

Safe diving...lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom