Do you need a Wet Suit for 60ft in the Carribean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove St Thomas in December and January in board shorts and a short sleeve rash guard and was just fine. I also did a LOT Of dives at different places in Fiji in the same outfit. Had one problem with a nasty rash when I encountered some fire coral on an ascent rope. The current was ripping and the DM insisted I hang onto the rope while doing our safety stop. I had no idea what that crap on the rope was......I will next time though LOL.

I completed my Fiji trip diving in the same outfit but will invest in a dive skin soon.

Thanks - Going to look up Fire Coral now.

I have been diving in the Caribbean for the past year about 4 days a week. I started in board shorts and short sleeve swim shirt. That did not last long. I now wear a .5mm ScubaPro full suit. I would not dive without it. My dives range from 15ft down to 100 feet and go for anywhere from 45 minutes to 90 minutes. Right now the water is warming up and is at 84 degrees. I don't feel cold. When it was down around 78 I was getting very chilled after the second dive of the day. Bringing your core temp up is hard to do once it drops. As others have mentioned, exposure protection is just that. It is not just warmth. I have seen divers on the same dive as me itch for days because of the hydroids, or get stung on the surface swims from jellies. I prefer not to have that happen. Plus, my Irish roots allow me to burn very easy.

We're going to the Western Caribbean in a couple of weeks. It looks like water temperatures should be in the low 80s. I'm planning to wear a long-sleeved rash guard with .5mm in the center panels, 2mm capri pants, booties, and a 2mm beanie (over a swim suit). I like the way the rash guard + capris look, and the beanie should keep my hair out of my mask and keep me warmer. DH is planning to wear a 2mm shorty, booties, and a long-sleeved rash guard over it. Our aunt, who has done a lot of diving in the Caribbean, also recommends long sleeves to everyone, even snorkelers, because of the plentiful jellyfish. We'll see how it goes and report back.

Coming from training in double wetsuits, this should be nice!

Thanks - Going to look up Fire Coral now.

This one is really common on the barrier reef here. It lives up to its name for sure.
251802_3740525003372_402166544_n.jpg

You can wear a rashguard for upper body protection and just trunks/shorts. Although probably unheard of where you are, here in the Philippines where I dive 1mm one-piece wetsuits are common; so are ,1mm long bottoms coupled with a dashboard top

I'm a naturally insulated person and I was wondering if I will need a wetsuit in the Carribean?
I don't, but then the "Save the Manatee" peeps always keep pushing me back in the water and tell me that I can make it if I try. :D :D :D

One of the reasons I suggested at least a full rash guard is for skin protection. On my last Cozumel trip one of the guys was wearing a 3 mil suit, but had about an inch of bare skin just above the swim shoes he was wearing, ( I wear the "hightop" booties). Of all the places he could have brushed up against fire coral he managed to do it right on his ankle, the only place besides his head and hands that weren't covered. Needless to say it gave him very angry spot that bothered him for the rest of the trip, it looked really ugly too. I saw him last month and it took a loooong time for it to heal. I wear a full 3 mil and a beanie and have never felt cold or overheated when in the water.

When I was on Grand Cayman in December I wore a lava core top and Lava core shorts under my wetsuit. When I am in Roatan this coming August, I plan on getting a pair of lava core pants and skipping the 3 mil suit. A little off topic but when I was in the pool with the lava core stuff, I was able to get rid of all of the lead. I figure I might need a little in salt water, but not much.

Everyone sensitivity to temp and cold is different, but even warm water diver's will get cold if you are in the water long enough.

My wife was giving me hard time when I wanted to buy a full body Lycra dive skin for the Caribbean. One of our friends had been to the resort before and was just going to dive in her bathing suit. I settled for a full long sleeve rash guard. My wife stopped giving me a hard time when one of the diver's got stung all over her arms from a jelly fish.

I did find myself getting little chilled at the end of the second and almost always during the third dive. A vest would have been nice. Just as well i didnt get the dive skin. I'm going to get a 3 mm shortly when go to Hawaii and will take my vest for extra warmth if needed.

I think I would go with a 3/2 or a 3mm for the protection.

Back
Top Bottom