Do you know the ARRASO method ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

duratesss,

I like the acronyms since it takes abstract goals like “situational awareness” and turns it into a concrete procedural steps that can easily be followed, i.e. where am I, where is my buddy, how much gas do I have etc. At a 70-80% success rate it sounds like a good system.

The acronyms provide a framework to remember the steps by. In the aviation industry checklists are used to maintain situational awareness and using acronyms is really just an other sort of checklist.

Of course some acronyms are more memorable that others. Since Portuguese is not my mother tongue ARRASO may not work for me but thank you for posting about this system.

Yeah ... me too ... I never could remember how many D's were supposed to be in SADDDDD ...

Then after I had just about figured out how many Ds there were (took about three years), they went and changed it to GUE EDGE... :doh2:

Gear Check, Underwear, Equipment, Equipment, Descend, Gear check, Equipment

That's how I remember it half the time.

Sounds like what Tom Mount was teaching and George called "Tai Chi breathing".

From the simple physiologic point of view the breathing technique whit emphasis in expiration with the use of the diaphragm and with short inspirations is the most correct technique to take out CO2, less consume of gas, do the best gas exchange,...,...
Less CO2, better comfort, less lung hiper-distension, less unnecessary consume of gas...

I think this is almost the same way of breathing in Yoga and in other activities where the breathing techniques are important.

Anyway...I'm not sure how useful a mnemonic or acronym is when it's based in a language other than what the user speaks.

I agree with you. In English, the RETO acronym must be BETO (Breathing, Equilibrium, Trim and Orientation).

Best Regards
Duarte S.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom