Do you insure all of your equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pongo1998

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Do most of you insure all of your dive equipment, (i.e. regs, computers, bcd's) or just your more expensive camera equipment? Just wondering if I need to insure everything.

You "need to" insure something if in your judgment the out-of-pocket cost to you to replace it in view of your estimate of how likely it is to be lost or stolen outweighs the cost of the insurance premium. I don't insure any of my dive gear because, in my judgment, the risk of it being lost or stolen is low enough that, if it should happen, I would be comfortable coughing up the money to replace it. It's totally a judgment call based on how you perceive the risk and how deep your pockets are.

My homeowners covers all my gear already. I just take photos of everything a record serial numbers in the event I need to make a claim.

Camera and lens are insured for flooding through a non-homeowners policy. Everything else is covered under homeowners policy. I used to carry a separate policy on my old camera but it got so old that replacing the camera was not worth it (or even possible due to age) that I dropped that policy.

For those insuring via homeowners, what about increasing your rate for your homeowners due to making such a claim? I've thought that a benefit of using an independent equipment insurance (with decent rates) was not impacting my homeowners (which I must carry (and pay) and where a percentage increase could be significant) if I have to make a claim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom