Do you have to use a wet suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KevinScuba,
A shorty or just swimming trunks will do fine during that time of the year in the Keys. But be aware of some critters that could sting (sealice) and/or scrapes you could get. There are also some thermoclines as you go deeper, but they can be toughed out.

I personally do not dive anything less that a 5mm shorty or 3mm full suit in tropical waters.

I've been diving that area for over 24 years. From approximately mid November through approximately mid May, I wear a wet suit. The rest of the year, I wear a swim suit. I've never even tried on a dive skin. Wet suits are absolutely not needed in South Florida in the summer unless you are spending hours at a time in the water.

Diving will chill you. Any water cooler than roughly body temperature will chill you to some degree so if doing 3-4 dives a day which is perfectly possibly you'll get gradually colder throughout the day, especially if the air temperature is low or its windy and so on.
I wore a 3mm full suit in the keys in July and was getting very cold by the end of dive 3 on a day. If i ever go there again i'll be taking my 5mm semi.

Don't underestimate how easily even "warm" water can cool you down.

Best advice - go to someone that has a good stock or offers made to measure and get a wetsuit that fits properly.

I have lived in Florida my whole life and I just bought my first full suit this year a 3/2 surf suit. Summer time can't be beat wearing boardshorts and a longsleave rashgard. The rashgard protects against stings and such and keeps the sunburn down. I do have a 2/1 shorty I wear if there is a known thermo at depth. Sitting in a bobbing boat geared up in a 3mm fullsuit in 90 degree heat is not comfortable. I can't wait to be diving in shorts again soon.

I'm planning on doing near 100% of my diving in the middle of July and August in south Florida or the keys, can I get away without having a wetsuit?
I was trying on some wetsuits the other day, and to be honest, I had one heck of a time getting in and out of them. I left the LDS thinking I may not want to do this dive thing IF I have to deal with this almost impossible task. Really! These were full wetsuits. Tried just about all kinds, sizes, just was not working. I'm going back tomorrow to look at some more alternatives...

Kevin

Yes you can and will most likely want to pass on the wetsuit for the Keys. I grew up in South Florida and spent lots of time in the keys, I am also one who gets cold real easy in the water. I would recommend not wearing one in the keys during July or August. You would be fine wearing just your suit. You could always wear a t-shirt or look into one of the dive skins. They are a thin "spandex" type material which are used for protection instead of warmth. Last August during lobster season I didn't even pull out my wet suit, I dove with shorts and a shirt. It will be hot in the Keys during this time. The shallow water can feel like a warm bath even.... Also, the wet suits will fit snug but that is what keeps the warmth in. It feels much better once you are in the water also. Enjoy.

If you burn easily, get a skin. IMO you won't need a wetsuit for July and August in the Keys. Skins will also protect you from jellyfish stings. For protection against fire coral and such, stay off the bottom :)

Wet suits are made for average people in different sizes. There is no reason why you should not buy a wet suit. In South Africa you have to use a wet suit because the water is very cold most of the time. I contacted a wet suit manufacturer and they made me a custom suit and in the style I want. Now I am warm and my suit fits like a glove. Getting in and out is easy as any other wet suit.

When I dove in the sea of Cortez the first time I just used a long sleeve rash guard and some swim trunks. Luck was on my side and I met no little jelly fish.

I brought a Henderson 3 ml hyperstretch... It was so warm I couldn't stand it. I was finally able to dive the wet suit on the night dive I did. The special fine fiber wool lining in the Henderson makes it slide on pretty well. It does fit snug, A little snug is better then any folds and creases that can disrupt the insulative water layer. It also hang tries very quickly!

I've read about guys in the gulf of Mexico who Dive with Overalls instead of rashguards or dive skins.

Some of the dive skins I've seen recently have a thin layer of insulation in them too that adds a little more protection.

I've also seen some fleece vest like dive jackets with hoods that can add increased protection to a skin or a 3mm suit.... Clarification... they are for diving not the surface interval.

Personaly I'd like to get a full dive skin (with no bright colors) for my next trip to San Carlos in May. Anti jelly fish, UV protection... etc.

A dry suit should warrent a class on how to use it if you go that route. You'll still need to collect a variety of insulation layers for inside a dry suit too...

So any way you look you'll be hauling around more stuff until you know what water temp requires what protection level. Make sure to add the protection you wear and the water temp. Including the weight you required will also help you learn what to do next time.

I'm planning on doing near 100% of my diving in the middle of July and August in south Florida or the keys, can I get away without having a wetsuit?

If you're doing two dives a day, probably. If you're doing more than that, no. I went on a dive cruise in September in FL. The first dive of the day was great w/o a wetsuit. The second dive, OK. After that it got downright cold.

I was trying on some wetsuits the other day, and to be honest, I had one heck of a time getting in and out of them. I left the LDS thinking I may not want to do this dive thing IF I have to deal with this almost impossible task. Really! These were full wetsuits. Tried just about all kinds, sizes, just was not working. I'm going back tomorrow to look at some more alternatives...

Kevin

Try a shorty.

I dive South Florida year round. Usually from June through October I dive with a Scubapro .5 mil suit. I only wear that to keep the stings away as much as possible. .5 mil is just enough to keep you a tiny bit warm on dive number 3 of the day. Remember, we have those little devils known as sea lice coming through in the gulf stream that time of year, so to avoid stings it does help. Just get in and make your own decision!

Back
Top Bottom