Do you have an iPod?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottZeagle:
I have put off getting one, as I was not sure how much I would actually use it. Now I see that they have the FM adapters that allow you to play them through your car radio, so I am looking at them nore closely.

Of course, the regular iPod is cool, but I really like that stupid U2 edition that only costs $50 more ( :eyebrow: ), and gives you a coupon for $50 off the U2 catalog....not sure how much the actual catalog costs though - even with the coupon...

If you have one, do you use it often, or was it another one of those cool toys that you used for a week and then stuck in a drawer??

Thoughts?

Scott

I do have a mpeg player, but it's not an iPod. It cost under $100, and uses CF cards (like my camera's do).

IMO the IPods are cool, function well, but they have a couple serious drawbacks. First while the battery in the unit seems to perform well, if you every have to replace it then it becomes clear what a poor design it is. You can do it yourself it you are so inclined, but most will pay the $100 to have it serviced.

I was seriously still considering one when they came out with the iPOD photo, but what is up with a device with the word photo in it that required an add on card reader. Not only is that cumbersome, but just bad design.

IMO there are a lot better choices in MP3 players out there, and most are a LOT more functional. A good PDA for example will do a heck of a lot more than an Ipod, and costs about the same $$$.

However I'm being practical here. IPOD's are DEFINATLEY selling well. I have many friends that own them.

Thanks for the input!!

I will think a bit more about it before I actually buy one, but if you know anyone with the U2 edition one, who would be interested in a scuba gear trade, please PM me! :wink:

Scott

I have a 40GB hard drive based RCA Lyra as my main MP3 player. I also have a 1GB iPod Shuffle that I use while exercising.

Mine get used on a regular basis.

I use them at work to help drown out typical office noises so that I can concentrate on my work. I use the iPod shuffle when exercising so that I can listen to music that I want to hear while working out (not what some teenager working at the gym wants to hear).

The shuffle is cool because I load a bunch of similar genre songs then set it to shuffle and go. It is like having my own radio station that only plays the songs I like and doesn't play commercials.

In fact, I'm listening to my iPod shuffle as I type this!

I love my iPod. I bought mine 2 years ago, back when I had a 1 hour commute. I would load up on Audible.com audiobooks and archives from ScubaRadio. Now Greg is podcasting the ScubaRadio broadcasts, so they automatically upload to the ipod.

I still use the ipod daily with the Griffin iTrip FM adapter, but I just replaced my stereo with one that had a front panel input because I found it difficult to find a clear channel for the FM transmitter.

There are a couple of underwater housing available for the ipod and I have heard of people using them to kill time during their deco stops.

I've got a 6gb mini - It stores all the music I want (with room to spare) is fantastic while skiing, riding my motorbike, flying or even as a music jukebox at home.

I had tried several other MP3 player sbefore the ipod - including CF or SD card based unit - but they always repeated the same songs while in random mode (I hate that) and the menu systems usually suck.

That is the best part of the ipod - the menu system WORKS. All in all, the iPod mini is the best solution for me :) Especially now that it has 18hrs worth of battery life...

Z...

I have a creative MP3/WMA player and it works like a champ. I spend a lot of time working in a loud computer room and it makes the day go faster. Also, if you exercise (especially if you run) it makes time go so much faster.

No I got an MP3 player I use quite often, but hate loading and downloading songs. I want satellite radio!! I hate commercials and figure if I'm going to pay for a music service this would be it. XM has that special going on right now if you buy there portable ipod like device (MyFi) you get the Roady 2 for your car for FREE, not a bad deal, and covers all bases.

i have an ipod and i use it almost every day, plus add bose noise canceling headphones and wow. traveling is great!!

I got the Photo Ipod and think it's great... I loaded it up with a bunch of underwater photos (as I seem to talk about diving all the time and people want to see) and tons of music...
I use it almost daily...

Back
Top Bottom