Do you have an iPod?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottZeagle

Contributor
Reaction score
I have put off getting one, as I was not sure how much I would actually use it. Now I see that they have the FM adapters that allow you to play them through your car radio, so I am looking at them nore closely.

Of course, the regular iPod is cool, but I really like that stupid U2 edition that only costs $50 more ( :eyebrow: ), and gives you a coupon for $50 off the U2 catalog....not sure how much the actual catalog costs though - even with the coupon...

If you have one, do you use it often, or was it another one of those cool toys that you used for a week and then stuck in a drawer??

Thoughts?

Scott

Used it for a week and then it just sits. I received it as a gift and I still am to cheap to spring the $80 for the FM adapter. There is one for $20 but its horrible. Mine sits on my desk and I always think im going to use it but I dont. The nice thing was the software automatically pulled all the songs on my laptop and filed them in I-tunes so I didnt need to download anything. I have 500 songs and if I had to download them I probably would have like 10. Its not the simplest software.

Thats just me though.

It's good for if you use public transportation and city life like me. An easy excuse not to talk to anybody, I say. Yeah… I use mine a lot, actually. I also have the U2 Edition one, which is also really cool beacuse I had it before 50 Cent did (but like that matters). :D The iTrip is pretty cool, but it depends where you live as to whether it works well or not. You really need to find a station that is COMPLETELY empty of anything, or spring for the nicer 85 dollar one (which really is nicer and worth the money.)

I use mine a lot on the bus and to fall asleep. I guess it really depends on what you want it for… Do you want one because you thinks it's a good thing to have? Do you want it beacuse you are fed up with the music on the radio and you want to play something of your own taste in the car? Do you travel a lot and want to listen to music on the way? I really am happy with mine, and I also like the iTunes Music Store that comes with it. It as a LOT of music to buy legally and cheap.

And the U2 Edition is SO cool. I don't care what anyody says. :eyebrow:

I had one for awhile, but sold it off ebay so I could by more scuba gear. Turns out I was diving more than I was listening to the iPod.

I purchased the Creative Zen Micro, which is basically the same thing as an ipod. I use it in conjunction with my online music service, Rhapsody, which allows me to store thousands of songs on it as long as I keep up my monthly subscription.

I don't have a long commute so I don't have the FM transmitter, but I take it to work and plug my computer speakers into it (my online music service is blocked at my work). I also listen to music while at the gym and while walking my dog.

I think portable digital music players are a great when used with an online music service such as Rhapsody or Napster. Rhapsody's monthly fee for radio, on-demand-music, and Rhapsody To Go, is about $15 a month. It's a good deal considering we get very few radio stations where I live, and I am an absolute music nut and love listening to a varierty of artists and musical styles.

You may want to check which music players are compatible with the various online music services.

We had the U2 Ipod, but sold it to buy the Ipod Photo instead. We do use it for music but the radio transmitter didnt work at all for us in the house or the car, so we returned that. The Complete U2 cost $149 without the coupon, it's over 400 songs with alot of remix versions of each song. If you're a big U2 fan (we are), I would highly recommend it!
We also use it to listen to audiobooks while commuting and at work (who has time to actually read?), and the big thing we use it for is backup photo storage. We have a 60gb Photo Ipod with a color screen. Ipod has a camera link that connects to your camera USB cable and transfers the photos to the Ipod-- it's perfect for vacations as you no longer need huge or multiple memory cards! You can view the photos on the color screen, transfer the photos to your computer, and connect it to a tv to play slideshows (with music background!).
You might want to do some research into the Dell Jukebox and the Creative Nomad since they have some good features and they are not limited to I-tunes and CAN play .wma files while the Ipod cannot. I-tunes is a frustrating program to use--it keeps your music locked down to 5 computer workstations and cannot be transferred to any other I-tunes library (unless somebnody knows whow to crack it-- please let us know!) so you cant share your music.

I own one and like it alot. I listen to it most on diving boat when trying to fall asleep. :eyebrow:

I got an IPOD with FM transmitter as a present from my family. I will admit some of the newness has worn off. I like the IPOD for when we travel whether it is in car (last week) or in the plane (not done yet). It saves us the problem of having to carry all those CDs or potentially forgetting that one you wanted to listen to. The downside is it is one more "toy" with one more power adapter to carry around.

I also carry a PDA and started to think that getting a storage device (CF, microdrive, something) for my PDA may eliminate the need for the IPOD. I like the ability to do multiple things with one device i.e. my PDA. The IPOD is very focused in what it can do, which is play music unless you get one of the photo models but even then I wonder if a PDA wouldn't be more flexible. Just thinking off the top of my head, I haven't explored this option.

Overall the IPOD is nice. Some say it is expensive which may be true but some people really like it. To each his own.

I love my ipod. I like having my entire music collection with me where ever I go.

Jason

i love love love my ipod. i have the fm thingie that also charges it, and it plays whenever i'm in the car, even to drive 5 minutes. i love not having commercials, not hating the song that the station is playing, not having to find new stations when i'm driving long distance... i also got the little speakers so i can play it in the apartment, since i don't have a stereo. i will say that the adapter that plays through your car cassette player is clearer etc (my roomie had one), but i don't have a cassette player in my car. i have books on it along with thousands of songs. it's an older (g3) 15 gig. i also take it with me on flights or other trips, and it works good to run with, too. my positive .02!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom