Do you guys think this is a good deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
First off I am a scuba newb....so I need advice on what type of regulator to get. I have my eyes on the scubapro s600 but it is a bit expensive and recently I have gotten the opportunity to buy the following items: First stage aqualung costeau, 2nd stage Aqualung micradjustable, genesis octo, and a genesis console with resource nitrox computer for $400 shipped. Recently serviced. Do you guys think that is a good deal for a beginner or do you think that I should invest the money in a new reg s600 and spend a whole bunch more to get new stuff? Any help would be welcome.

personally, i think that for recreational diving, a regulator is a regulator, unless
it's not made by one of the reputable makers. both Scubapro and Aqualung/US Divers
are reputable makers.

if you can get into the package you are talking about for $400 and get out there
and dive, then i say do it.

that sounds like a good deal to me. the genesis resource is worth about $250 by
itself.

the only drawback i see is that the resource is not nitrox-compatible (as far as
i can tell) so if you ever go into diving nitrox, you will need to buy another
computer. do you know if this is the resource or the resource nitrox?

Go to your dive shop, test drive the units they have and buy from them. They'll take care of you.

yeah but the problem with buying from my dive shop is that it would be about $1200 versus $400.....just don't have that kind of cash right now,....but I could finance it. This $400 deal I can't test out as it is on the internet but they said it was recently serviced and I have seen pics of everything and it looks to be in great shape. Said it was only used for about a dozen dives.

umbrellainc, you'll find that the "buy from your LDS" vs. "buy online" debate is
one that has strong proponents on both sides

it makes no sense to me to pay $1200 for equipment that will allow me to do the
same thing as equipment i can get for $400

that's just me :wink:

Can you get your air delivery system online for free? If you consider the discounted yearly maintainence, free parts for life it usually takes about 6 years to end up getting the air delivery system for free.

Plus with Scuba Pro and Aqua Lung you aren't getting a warranty regardless of what they say.

Does it do the same thing? Is there a tech who is going to check it out for you for free? No, you'll do it yourself or pay someone to do it for you.

Hey maybe they'll fill your tanks for you online too????

lol...

yeah, it'd be sweet if i could get free refills. but even though i buy from my
LDS whenever it makes sense to me, that ain't happening :wink:

I'm eventually going to buy a complete new TEC setup from my LDS but I just wanted something to get me in the water quickly after my certification as I would like to save up and pay in cash for the newer equipment than just use used equipment. This would only be temporary. I was just asking what people thought of that $400 deal. I have already purchased about $600 of gear from my LDS and am running low on funds and just wanted to complete my package with minimum expenditure till I get more mula.

Umbrellainc:
First off I am a scuba newb....so I need advice on what type of regulator to get. I have my eyes on the scubapro s600 but it is a bit expensive and recently I have gotten the opportunity to buy the following items: First stage aqualung costeau, 2nd stage Aqualung micradjustable, genesis octo, and a genesis console with resource nitrox computer for $400 shipped. Recently serviced. Do you guys think that is a good deal for a beginner or do you think that I should invest the money in a new reg s600 and spend a whole bunch more to get new stuff? Any help would be welcome.

There's a little problem with what you are listing there... the resource is not a nitrox computer... it is air only. The react is the nitrox version... There are new setups you could get with 1st stage, second stage, octo and an air computer for $400... with nitrox... it would add about another $120.

Some people like the Micra - others.... not so much. It depends on if you like the very small second stage setup. And if you want adjustable. For example, a package that we sell a lot comes with a small non-adjustable - a V16 Proton XL, octo, and an air computer console - and you're at $450 before your 10% ScubaBoard discount... Nitrox adds about $120 to the package...

So it's best to take a lot of thoughts into consideration... like Al Mialkovsky pointed out... with new regs there are some spiffs like free parts for life deals, discounted annual service plans, etc, that you would be giving up with used stuff...

So depending on whether it is a nitrox or air computer, I feel that deal falls somewhere between not so good... and ok...

Keep in mind that parts for a complete service (excluding batteries) of the first and both second stages would retail at $10.00-$15.00. This is the free portion. You will pay for the service tech's labor and that's anywhere from $25.00 to $50.00. So you make the choice, but with the "freebies" you're saving very little in the over all picture.

Check the close-outs at scubatoys, I think I was able to put a reg together with a 3 gauge console for about $325.00. (if they're still available) I haven't bought yet as I need several for classes so I'm still saving.

Back
Top Bottom