Do you ever wonder why there are not many sharks left in the world?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Tarponchick - you are very wrong in your 50 year old suspicion - we learnt a lesson and protected species and fisheries from the 70s onwards and have huge marine stewardship programs and major consumer and community awareness programs.

Hence why we have so many big sharks. Hence why you can lose your house for offences against fisheries legislation. Hence why restaurants and supermarkets are obligated to detail origin and in most cases method of catching fish. Our major supermarket chains give me the option of buying pole caught wild tuna from Esperance or farmed salmon from Tasmania if I choose...and there's a tiny cheap crappy selection of Vietnamese caught prawns or farmed basa fillets way down the end most Aussies keep away from. We've done some good things with sustainability of fisheries...no one complains if we have a one day per year an abalone season except new migrants who walk away with a fine anyway....the beaches are lined with fisheries inspectors on the day or days ab season is open. Sure we're not perfect and we screwed up badly with a species 50 years ago but there's a lot of improvements and an entire mindset change worth googling.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you also wanted manpower support.

Couldn't you grant temporary jurisdiction or a special circumstance to bring in other countries on the front lines?
Without an international will to stop them we’re helpless. They sit of in international waters.

Adds nothing? At least it brings awareness and education to those shark fin soup consumers and some Chinese restaurants in London now ban shark fin soup. Those shark fin suppliers in Costa Rica, Taiwan & Hong Kong start to feel the heat and are trying to cover up their business activities.
Nothing will change until couple of their ships are sunk.

Reactions: Dan
@Tarponchick - you are very wrong in your 50 year old suspicion - we learnt a lesson and protected species and fisheries from the 70s onwards and have huge marine stewardship programs and major consumer and community awareness programs.

Hence why we have so many big sharks. Hence why you can lose your house for offences against fisheries legislation. Hence why restaurants and supermarkets are obligated to detail origin and in most cases method of catching fish. Our major supermarket chains give me the option of buying pole caught wild tuna from Esperance or farmed salmon from Tasmania if I choose...and there's a tiny cheap crappy selection of Vietnamese caught prawns or farmed basa fillets way down the end most Aussies keep away from. We've done some good things with sustainability of fisheries...no one complains if we have a one day per year an abalone season except new migrants who walk away with a fine anyway....the beaches are lined with fisheries inspectors on the day or days ab season is open. Sure we're not perfect and we screwed up badly with a species 50 years ago but there's a lot of improvements and an entire mindset change worth googling.
Sorry if I hurt your feelings but this is simple supply and demand shifting. Fish farming became popular not because consimers of sea food are concerned but because fishing stocks are depleted and can't keep up with the growing demand anymore. Will fish farming save the wild fish in the oceans? I don't know but I am pessimistic, especially when it comes to bigger fish that grow slowly and are easy to hunt.

You didn't hurt my feelings lol - just letting you know how far we've come and how seafood consumption has changed in Aus - this TV series exposed some dodgy practices and some resounding successes - well worth a watch How much do we really know about where our seafood comes from?

Australian Seafood Overview · Be Informed · Australia's Sustainable Seafood Guide This link and associated paper and social media advertising plus the current foodie movement are so well known I've even got the app on my phone - I don't buy fish anymore but if I'm buying for my mum I can use the app to basically know the fishes name was Bruce, he was born in Geraldton but resided most of his life in Exmouth and his hobbies were swimming and birdwatching and his favourite food was squid. :rofl3:

Although I don't disagree with their punishment (assuming that there was a fair trail) they really should be doing the burning on land. There are a lot of toxins in those boats, and you don't want to release them into the ocean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom