Do you carry basic safety equipment on dives? If not, why?

Do you carry safety equipment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(...) On the dive light I would also suggest not using rechargeable batteries (...)

Could you please elaborate on this point. I was just about to switch to using rechargeables, it seems a bit too much to buy a new $15-20 set of batteries for every dive. I was assuming that a freshly charged set of rechargeables should work better than batteries I already used once on another dive. My 400-lumens LED light claims to deliver 10 hours at max brightness with 8x 5000mAh alkaline C. I was planning to use 2500mAh NiMH rechargeable AAs in plastic AA-to-C adapters. I thought one AA set should be plenty for a single dive, and AAs are cheap and abundant...

I always carry a flashlight, but usually not any other equipment listed. My dives are mostly from moored boats that are close enough to shore to swim home. I carry additional equipment based on the situation.

Light=yes, SMB=yes, Shears=yes, Whistle=yes, Mirror=no, 2 computers=yes, Countdown timer (chrono) = yes, Compass = yes. Yes, I know some of this is duplicated .... older eyes need BIG numbers so I have a separate chrono watch with BIG numbers for safety stops.

yes to large SMB. Reel, mirror/wb slate and Tusa light in pockets, which about max's out the Hera pocket capacity. Still need shears.

Basic whistle is on hose, but I keep meaning to change it out to my storm whistle.

My dive buddy (hubby) doesn't carry anything.

I carry an SMB, natural whistle (use mouth, a-la construction worker style, an REI plastic whistle, reel, pocket mask, and flashlight on every dive.

I always carry some sort of safety devices when diving (knife (where permited), diving lights with white strobe capability and SMB. As far as noise making, I normally dive with my GF and she can scream pretty loudly when I pinch her. I feel I've got all angles covered :D.

I carry a primary can light (rechargeable) 2 backup lights (3 c cell alkaline batteries), smb and 150' spool, 50' spool, and shears. On ocean dives I will carry an additional 6'smb and spool tucked in my mc pack. Backup lights should never be rechargeable.

I forgot to mention a compass , it is a safety device
... even for those who just follow along, get one and learn to have a basic idea that the boat/shore is "back there"

Batteries ... Rechargeable batteries in your dive light is OK , I would not use them in your back up/safety light ... because unless you load them just before the dive your not sure their charged, and I've not seen any small rechargeable batteries that are equal to non rechargeable batteries in power or burn time

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom