Do you buy lobster tails?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No way do I buy lobster from the store. Have you seen the prices? they want close to $20 bucks a pound! even at Costco.
Instead I go down to Southern California and spend $350 to go on a two day charter boat and attempt to grab them myself.

FWIW, Red Lobster is merely a cog in the corporate wheel known as Darden Restaurants whose brands include the following:

• Red Lobster
  • Olive Garden
  • LongHorn Steakhouse
  • The Capital Grille
  • Bahama Breeze
  • Seasons 52

If you think the source of the lobsters served at Bahama Breeze are any different than the those served at Red Lobster (or even the Capital Grill), you better wake up :(

BTW, I have no idea why this thread is in the Advanced Diving section. I'm yet to see a single idea about ways help the Miskito divers keep from getting bent other than to cut off their livelyhood. :idk:

Then you've clearly not read Bob's letter that I linked to.

Then you've clearly not read Bob's letter that I linked to.

Give me a little more credit than that Thal, I've been aware of this issue for at least fifteen years. Why don't we start a ScubaBoard campaign to put wrist computers on them?? Maybe instead of selling our computers when we want to upgrade, instead we put a fresh battery in it and send it down there. Putting chambers in the jungle doesn't stop the issue, it just puts them back in the water so it can happen again. I'd think that would have a lot more impact than sending letters to Red Lebster / Darden Restaurants. Remember, 98% of Americans don't dive and don't care.

And what you posted still doesn't justify this thread being in the advanced diving section (which was MY point that YOU clearly missed).

Give me a little more credit than that Thal, I've been aware of this issue for at least fifteen years. Why don't we start a ScubaBoard campaign to put wrist computers on them?? Maybe instead of selling our computers when we want to upgrade, instead we put a fresh battery in it and send it down there. Putting chambers in the jungle doesn't stop the issue, it just puts them back in the water so it can happen again. I'd think that would have a lot more impact than sending letters to Red Lebster / Darden Restaurants. Remember, 98% of Americans don't dive and don't care.

And what you posted still doesn't justify this thread being in the advanced diving section (which was MY point that YOU clearly missed).

I will have to take the credit for putting this thread in the advanced divers forum - it seemed like a good idea at the time. I wondered how many divers, like me, were unaware of the problem. Judging by the responses, many of us had no idea.

You make a good point about asking what we can do as divers to help our fellow divers, and that is exactly why I started the thread and why it is here. If it achieves nothing else, it at least makes us aware of the situation.

IMHO Americans are the most caring people on the planet, and while there is a huge glut of things to care about, it is our consumers who buy these products, and our corporations who make the profits.

I don't want to cut off their livelihood. By overfishing, they are already doing that. They will either learn to regulate their fishery so that it is sustainable, or they will destroy it. In the meantime, though, lives and families are being needlessly destroyed.

Who knows? Maybe someone reading this will come up with an idea that can help. Like YOU did!:D

If you want the forum changed, hit the report button and request that a MOD change it.

FWIW, Red Lobster is merely a cog in the corporate wheel known as Darden Restaurants whose brands include the following:

• Red Lobster
  • Olive Garden
  • LongHorn Steakhouse
  • The Capital Grille
  • Bahama Breeze
  • Seasons 52

If you think the source of the lobsters served at Bahama Breeze are any different than the those served at Red Lobster (or even the Capital Grill), you better wake up :(

BTW, I have no idea why this thread is in the Advanced Diving section. I'm yet to see a single idea about ways help the Miskito divers keep from getting bent other than to cut off their livelyhood. :idk:

Hey Deepstops,
Thanks for the list. I know I won't eat in Red Lobster or Olive Garden, (it's GARBAGE, not food) but I ate at a Longhorn Steakhouse last year. Won't do that again! Never heard of the rest.

Great idea!!! Put the decision in the hands of the diver. It doesn't mean they will put safety over production but it does give them a choice.

Does Red Lobster even sell lobster tails. I went there about 15 years ago and couldn't get a decent lobster tail. Rock shrimp seemed to be their specialty along with small breaded shrimp. There is no reason to boycott Red Lobster in coastal regions, one trip is usually enough to keep anyone who knows seafood from returning.

Red Lobster is to seafood as Longhorn is to steak, neither needs to be boycotted, only tried once.

I think that is a great idea, I will contact Bob and see what can be done. As we gather computers I will ask the manufacturer's to change the batteries as their contribution, for those that we can do ourselves.

I think that is a great idea, I will contact Bob and see what can be done. As we gather computers I will ask the manufacturer's to change the batteries as their contribution, for those that we can do ourselves.

Deepstops' idea could also be done another way: Someone interested in DCS research might be willing to help fund this program. Putting wrist computers on these divers might be a DCS data goldmine.

I hesitate to propose this because of the history that surrounds experimentations on people, but maybe there is a way to do it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom