Do we need to change body recovery methods?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting stuff. I'll do more research and update the article. Good point about non-breathing divers, would doing a slow ascent make any difference or not?

It wouldn't, Mike. The only way we can expell all that nasty nitrogen is through efficient respirations.

If a guy dies at depth while on scuba he is essentially holding his breath (forever) and bubbling will occur no matter how fast or slow the ascent - the amount of bubbling is dependant on depth/time of the dive of course.

As I think about it, even the O2 would probably bubble as its not being used for the body's metabolism so it could theoretically be worse than a live guy holding his breath...

Yeah I think bagging the body underwater is alot more respectful and professional. Ive know PSD divers all my life, my fater was a Game Warde in Georgia for most of my life and working drownings every summer was common. I can remember going to my first body recovery when I was 10. My mom was gone somewhere and it was my dads day off, so I ended up having to go with him. I remember standing on the bank of the lake with the deceased family standing near by. I remember seeing the diver come up and waver everyone back and I could see that bag in the water next to him. That will forever be burned in my memory. But I think he did his job in a very respectful way that kept from traumatizing the family. Whats kinda morbid though is I think that was what got me so interested in diving, and it was ironic that they dive who did the recovery end up being my SCUBA instructor.

Back
Top Bottom