Do Underwater Cities Exist???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the harbor of Kingston, Jamacia lies the sunken city of Port Royal. In 1692 an earthquake fluidizes the sand and about 1/3 of the city slid into the sea. Since then the area has become heavily silted in some15 to 20 feet.
Be careful anyone going there. I hear the area has become dangerous.

... and the dangers are?

Go to Cornwall Ontario just west of Quebec border. Not sure if charters do these sites from your side of the border. When the St. Lawrence seaway was deepened they sunk ~11 towns I believe. The Fire dept in the area and rescue services used the towns to train in worst case scenarios so not alot of structures left. There are streets which today still just disappear into the river.We did not do the swim down main street but what I remember there are roads, basements, sidewalks still there, the old locks(lock 21) is a shore dive that is totally intact. There is also a intact hydro station (boat dive)- generators and turbines, intake/output all in place 70' the deepest I believe. Small brick building on top was demoed for boat trafic safety. You can enter the water outputs and move into the pipes that exited the generators up to the turbine blades very cool!!! usually a few half decent sized catfish in there. The turbine blades make a funny noise as your bubbles hit and go through them. We only had 1 day of boat diving there and did the lockes on the sun morn shore dive and then had to leave but I'm sure there are other great dives there.

Lost Villages of the St Lawrence.

Lost Villages

Sites that are frequently dove are Milles Roches Powerhouse (boat dive - the walls have been tore down but everything else is till pretty much there), Lock 21 (Long Sault) and Lock 23 (Morrisburg). Those who know their way around will also dive Lock 22. As for the locks, all the buildings and the lock gates are gone but everything else is still in place. These dives are fun to do but the current can be wicked and the visibility down to not much at times.

in Guatemala, Panajachel. There is a small Mayan city underwater in the lake Atitlan. The locals are not very thrilled with divers going there, I heard the place was victim of artifact theft for a while. It was an amazing dive for me !

There is a village that slid underwater after a volcanic eruption in the Sanhige Archipeligo north of Sulawesi that is diveable.....not a city though and accessible only via liveaboard.

I just dove on the ancient (2,000 year old), Mayan ruins of Samabaj in Lake Atitlan, Guatemala a few weeks ago. I also put a short video of the trip for my website and have added a link below. It was a good high altitude dive and I will be returning to the site soon to do some more exploration of the site.

If you enjoy the video, please click on "like", and thanks in advance.

Tommy

[video=youtube_share;CPglw8f64zk]http://youtu.be/CPglw8f64zk[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom