do scuba diver absorb too much salt??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danrab

New
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hello divers!

I am an extremely experienced diver... 40yrs+, 25yrs of those as an on & off instructor (now on).

I have a newbie DM (she's a bit of a case!) trying to tell me that divers shouldn't salt their food as we get enough salt via our frequent diving and "become salt desensitized" due to all our diving... I tried not to laugh and etc... But looked it up anyhow.

I can't seem to find the slightest shred of evidence about this anywhere! (big surprise!)

So if anyone out there knows about this, please let me know!

Thanks!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This is a Learning Zone. There are special rules. One of the rules is: Learning Zones are intended to be very friendly, both flame and snark free.

This following thread has already had extensive clean-up of replies.

Please keep this in mind. Think twice before posting. If you've nothing constructive or inshructive to say, keep it to yourself.

Hello divers!
I am an extremely experienced diver... 40yrs+, 25yrs of those as an on & off instructor (now on).
I have a newbie DM (she's a bit of a case!) trying to tell me that divers shouldn't salt their food as we get enough salt via our frequent diving and "become salt desensitized" due to all our diving... I tried not to laugh and etc... But looked it up anyhow.
I can't seem to find the slightest shred of evidence about this anywhere! (big surprise!)
Thanks!
no.

a) salt isn't sodium;
b) if we absorbed 'salt' from water we would absorb saltwater (salt follows water and water follows salt) and explode.

Ask this newbie DM what her masters or phD education in biology, chemisty, nutrition or medicine is in and where from. then forbid her from ever being a DM.

Hello divers!
Thanks!
This sounds like a well-intentioned but misinformed statement. Salt is not absorbed through the skin, and unless a diver is ingesting a large amount of salt water on a regular basis I don't see how it could be problematic.

For all, let's refrain from dog-piling on this DM unless you've never, ever, in your life said anything that has been proven incorrect.

Best regards,
DDM

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread has been cleaned up.

This subforum is a learning zone.

In the DM's defense, sometimes people say something without thinking (or for comedic entertainment of others' listening in). At least not asking "what elevation are we at?" after stepping off a cruise ship at an oceanfront tourist trap...
Or my favorite.. "What time is high tide; usually around here."

As a drysuit diver I’m kinda doubting it. On the other hand, I never add salt to my food and have never felt the lack…

no.

a) salt isn't sodium;
b) if we absorbed 'salt' from water we would absorb saltwater (salt follows water and water follows salt) and explode.

Ask this newbie DM what her masters or phD education in biology, chemisty, nutrition or medicine is in and where from. then forbid her from ever being a DM.
Yah, agreed! ;-)

This sounds like a well-intentioned but misinformed statement. Salt is not absorbed through the skin, and unless a diver is ingesting a large amount of salt water on a regular basis I don't see how it could be problematic.

For all, let's refrain from dog-piling on this DM unless you've never, ever, in your life said anything that has been proven incorrect.

Best regards,
DDM
Yes, however, some people, the holier-than-thou know it alls, are not quite as "well intentioned" as much as "I know betters", full of pseudo-science and half-truths ... this happens to be one of those. And given the experiences of the last couple of years, there seems to be legions of these around...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom