Do rescue divers take a compass reading on distressed diver at surface??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderSeaBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the right place to post, but I have a question about going after a panicked diver and what is taught. First let me say that I just got certified in June of this year and only have about 50 dives, so I haven't been through additional training yet.

How do they teach you to go after a panicking diver? OK, I know that if I am on the surface screaming like a girl (I am a girl) that they would be able to get to me as long as I stay a float. However it seems like there have been a lot of threads lately about people getting to the surface, calling for help and then sinking--not inflating bc, dropping weights or whatever the cause.

So here is my question. I am working on my nav for AOW and they talk about taking a compass reading so that even in the worst vis you can find your way back to the line. Do rescue divers take a compass reading on the diver in distress so that if they sink they can drop and find them? I would think that if you dropped and passed them with them under you that you could take a reverse reading and then drop more to find them. This of course assumes you are geared up and have air. Anyway, I was just wondering if they take a compass reading on the diver in trouble in case they slip away.

You certainly could depending on the situation. Remember that the diver may be moving in a current.

What is also suggested is that one person on shore or on the boat extend an arm as a sighting of the last known location of the distressed diver. Assuming a reasonable distance the in water rescuers can use that as a reference and they can also be directed from this reference.

Pete

I truly don't think anyone would stop to get a compass heading,,,,you are in a stress situation,,,you react,,,,in the real world there probably is not going to be a 'rescue' diver geared and waiting with compass in hand. When you go thru a recreational based rescue course this is not taught,,,though many other options are avaible. Usually from my readings of diver rescue accident anyls. cases most diver resues are by near by diver already in the water...or in the case of a boat...a deck hand securing a life ring etc.. Compass heading are one thing in nav. class,,,but I just have never heard/read of it in diver rescue. Good question though for sure!

Thanks for the info. It would be a stressful situation for sure. Hope I never face it although I do plan to get rescue training. Was just wondering how they teach you to go after someone. I know the goal of training is to try to help you think through how to respond to an emergency so that if it happens for real you won't have to take time to think, you can just act and hopefully some of your training with stick.

While the rescue diver or responsive buddy is going after the diver in distress what do they teach you to be doing on the boat if you are watching this situation happen? I know part of rescue training is supposed to teach you to organize the sitation. So what actions do they teach you to do if you are topside on the boat or beach?

They teach you to evaluate the situation and determine if in water or out-of-water actions are appropriate first. Out-of-water options include throwing buoy and/or line to diver, for example. If in gear, one method is to submerge and approach diver from under and behind, then surface and grab back of tank to gain access to power inflator button of BC and to safely calm diver from behind. Once inflated and floating, paniced divers often calm quickly. From behind, can also tow a tired diver (precursor to panic often) to shore or boat safely. Specifics of approaches are taught in Rescue Diver course, which is recommended, as every detail and instruction are important to executing moves in a correct and safe manner.

****This post is for informational purposes only, and is NOT intended to be specific to any situation or represent any recommendation for action in any diving scenario.

I wouldn't overthink it. This is a case where your instincts will lead you right.

If you see someone in distress on the surface, you take off as fast as possible to get to them.
IF they then disappear, you stop momentarily and get a compass bearing.

Leah,
Congratulations on seeking AOW status, but it doesn't end there. You pose some great questions and thoughts. I believe most of your questions will be answered when you take the Rescue Diver course, which you can do right after the AOW (If SDI allows). I'm not familiar with SDI Rescue Diver teachings, but I believe you will find the answers you seek there and be a better diver for it.
Sure glad you explained what RNASUWC meant!!!!!!!! LOL

Ocean, I am sure that rescue class will answer those, but since I am a few months off from getting to take that class and have read lots of threads about sinker lately I was just wondering about that.

Charlie, as a far as over thinking things on the surface or getting training, I think that is good thing. If my instincts are enough, then I don't need any more training my instincts will lead me forward. The truth of the matter is that my instincts on land will get me or someone esle killed under water which is why we have lots of training to learn to fight what we do and think on land.

I have been accused of over thinking things and spending too much time here reading. I am convinced that doing this saved my butt from serious injury last weekend. I made some bad decisions pre dive and then my buddies abandoned me when I got in trouble at my first time at 106'. I thumbed the dive and they waved bye bye! Had a hard time thinking being scared, narced, hypervetalating building up CO2 and flipping out of my mine. Couldn't think much, but did remember some of my OW and things I read hear about panic and people going up to fast. I am not going to get into the whole again you can read the thread at

http://www.singledivers.com/surfaceinterval/index.php?showtopic=10755
if you want more info on my big screw up that could have been quite costly.

Still working on that RNASUWC--have placed 4 skeletons at the lake in various under water poses-- am now working on a model of the Attakula Lodge that sits in300' of water. Want to put the model in about 60' to dive on and create some structure for the fish
Leah

Back
Top Bottom