Do OEM's control who services equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StSomewhere:
My guess is that attitude can drive most of these types of interactions. If you come off in an abrasive manner people can and will choose not to work with you. I wouldn't bring this up except I read this post shortly after reading your post about John at NESS and sense a pattern.

OTOH, who knows, maybe it really is everybody else?

Oh I know I am awkward. People who expect a certain standard of service tend to be labelled that way. In this case the shop owner/manager just simply wanted to make a point I guess about the perils of purchasing from anyone but them. So I made my point and took my business elsewhere, I wouldn't want to put them in an awkard position of having to refuse my business again.

As for John. If I were the only person he has treated that way you might be right. But I'm not. He didn't keep me informed of the status of my order which became an issue after he was not able to ship when he promissed, I'm still waiting for the manual (promissed 2 weeks ago now in a very snotty email), still no response concerning the LP inflator hose. But this thread isn't about John, it is about whether the policy my ex-LDS shop told me was in place was pure BS or a very real restriction placed on LDS'. That, would make a difference on my purchase location.

Re-reading what I wrote, that came of a lot harsher than I intended.

My point is that some LDS's will work on a reg you "bought on a dive trip" but won't work on one you "bought on the Internet" so how you broach that with them makes all the difference. Like you said, some will only work on regs you bought from them which can be especially problematic if you don't have a lot of options for reg servicing where you live, and I don't blame you for being p|ssed off if that's the case. OTOH, managing those relationships might be in your best interest in the long term.

One LDS in my area controls access to the only quarry within a few hours drive. I'm careful to not allow my relationship there to degenerate needlessly, despite the fact that this LDS and I have very different ideas about what equipment configuration is best for *me*.

My two cents.

StSomewhere:
Re-reading what I wrote, that came of a lot harsher than I intended.

My point is that some LDS's will work on a reg you "bought on a dive trip" but won't work on one you "bought on the Internet" so how you broach that with them makes all the difference. Like you said, some will only work on regs you bought from them which can be especially problematic if you don't have a lot of options for reg servicing where you live, and I don't blame you for being p|ssed off if that's the case. OTOH, managing those relationships might be in your best interest in the long term.

One LDS in my area controls access to the only quarry within a few hours drive. I'm careful to not allow my relationship there to degenerate needlessly, despite the fact that this LDS and I have very different ideas about what equipment configuration is best for *me*.

My two cents.
You have a good point but thankfully in this area there are about 8 dive shops. So it is easier to switch form one to another. When we relocate the old LDS won't be an issue. I'll just say I bought it in the EU, which won't be too hard since I'm a Euro type anyway.

DrSteve:
You have a good point but thankfully in this area there are about 8 dive shops. So it is easier to switch form one to another. When we relocate the old LDS won't be an issue. I'll just say I bought it in the EU, which won't be too hard since I'm a Euro type anyway.

Won't you feel bad about lying to an LDS? After all, it's not like they would ever lie to you! Hell of a way to have to do business.

awap:
Won't you feel bad about lying to an LDS? After all, it's not like they would ever lie to you! Hell of a way to have to do business.

LMFAO - oh I'll feel terrible and won't be able to sleep for a week I'll be so wracked with guilt. Just like I'm sure my old LDS did when they sent me home with a regulator which they couldn't service, to almost certain death during my next dive trip because I couldn't get an anual service!

reefraff:
I don't think that it's a given that Aqualung is voluntarily selling to unauthorized retailers - indeed, I don't think that this is the case at all. ]

The point I made was that a distributor whose territory is being infringed on by another entity is going to try and put a stop to it, when deemed significant. I think its safe to say all their sales are chosen and voluntary. A simple statement would clarify things, not required or mandatory. Until then, you believe what you want to believe, and I'll do the same. But I place this in the obfuscation column.

I don't think that the "distinction" between corporate identities is anywhere near as simple, or chicane, as you suggest, though I would ask: what other purpose would a distribution channel have, if not to maximize strategic objectives?

The point here was about a lack of a distinct and seperate competing entity. President of company A is VP of company B. You don't find these conflicts of interests in direct competitors. Then again this two have the same parent company. You're absolutely right its about maximizing strategic objective. In this case its a safe speculative bet to say there is one objective - not two.

You understand that consumers from locality to locality have different requirements, so let's move on to the salient point: I think that Aqualung (and the other manufacturers, for that matter) has adequately explained their local policy to you: if you don't purchase from an authorized dealer, you don't get free parts. You clearly understand this, so exactly what part of the message is obfuscatory or ambiguous? The fact that you may wish the policy was different doesn't mean that you're being cheated.

Apparently you missed the part about the free parts policy only being valid at "participating dealers". Got ya on that one. Not me - them. Read the fine print a little more carefully. Which leads me to exercise the following speculative skeptic viewpoint. When you buy the reg they all probably participate, when you go back a few years later after not having bought anything else from them, all of a sudden the same "authorized" dealer may well choose to not participate. Same issue with servicing authentic equipment brand. They make a fuzz about your interest in buying from authorized dealers and then when you go there for some of the benefits you may find the dealer is not contractually obligated to perform. Yes, it's generally stated in the fine print details while the advantages of buying from "Authorized Dealers" is embellished "This is our assurance that you will receive the proper pre-sale, point-of-sale, and post-sale assistance, and that only trained and certified divers will use our products". I would rightly, in my opinion, blame a company who places so much emphasis, and portends to care so much about the interests of consumers buying from authorized dealers. Different thought processes amd perpectives, thats all. We differ in opinion, again. LOL

So why are we having this discussion? If anyone deserves the label "unfair" it would seem to be the consumer that found a way to buy on the cheap through a back door and is upset when he can't find a way to get free service that he hasn't paid for

Because though not exclusive it is relevant. I do like to buy on the cheap - through the front door. I don't think anyone here, even though undoubtedly some consumers do, is trying to get anything they didn't pay for. That so many consumers are unclear about all this authorized and non authorized business, policy details, and the role of dealers, is certainly not all the consumers fault. They are not making the rules, - but are, having trouble understanding them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom