Do I need shots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sberanek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm going to Jamaica and I was wondering if I will need Hepatitis A and/or B shots? I will probablly be going outside of the resort areas at some point(s) and was wondering if I should get those shots?

Thanks,
Shannon

Check the US travel advisory website and/ or CDC website. There are two shots for HEP-A....the second is taken 6 months after the first (IIRC). Not sure how protected you are between shots 1 and 2 so depending on your timing, it may be moot.

sberanek:
I'm going to Jamaica and I was wondering if I will need Hepatitis A and/or B shots? I will probablly be going outside of the resort areas at some point(s) and was wondering if I should get those shots?

Thanks,
Shannon

Hep A is two shots 6 months apart.

Hep B is three shots one shot, then another 1 month later and then a third one 5 months after the second one.

CDC generally suggests Hep A and Hep B shots for almost anywhere.

These shot don't hurt at all. Just a little pin prick as the nurse gives you the shot. You can get the Hep A and Hep B shots at the same time.

I suggest you check the following URL

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinationJamaica.aspx

They are also suggesting Malaria vaccination for certain areas of Jamaica.

P.S.

wwwn is correct in the CDC URL shown above

Otter:
Check the US travel advisory website and/ or CDC website. There are two shots for HEP-A....the second is taken 6 months after the first (IIRC). Not sure how protected you are between shots 1 and 2 so depending on your timing, it may be moot.
You can get an immunoglobulin shot concurrent with the first hepatitis-A shot to provide protection in the interim.

I got my Hep. A shot, Tetnus/dyptheria/protussis shot (hadn't had one since '89 so this was just generally reccomended), and oral typhoid meds. If I was going to Kingston I would need anti-malarials too.

I didn't get the Hep. B because it wouldn't have been active in time, there wasn't much need for it, and I could only afford some shots since the University makes us pay for them now and my student health insurance (also through the U of I) doesn't have a med/prescription plan.

The shots didn't hurt at all... the side effect from the tetnus has been killing me all week. I feel like a boxer used my arm as a punching bag. I even made sure I was relaxed and didn't tense up.

--Shannon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom