Do I need my own O2 analyzer at Buddy Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darook

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are staying and diving at Buddy this October and our package includes Nitrox. We are getting Nitrox certified before going and intend to take advantage of it. I am guessing they have an analyzer at the shop but don't know if they will let non-employees use it or if so there are so many folks waiting for it that it is a big time waster. I am not opposed to getting my own but wouldn't mind not spending the money and carrying another piece of equipment with me.

Any advice is appreciated!

Darook

They have one on the dock and by their drive through and you almost never have to wait to use it. Do you have room in your bags for me? Enjoy Bonaire!

Part of learning about diving with mixtures greater than 21% is that you the diver are responsible for analyzing the % of 02 in the mix. I never dove @ buddy, but regardless of where you dive and get gas always make sure you have personally tested the gas. I'm sure there are places that have cattle boat type diving and the operator might think it is a waste of time for each diver to test the gas. But I would think Buddy would operate under the 'standard' that each diver checks their own gas. Give them a call and ask, there is no shame in calling.

As for owning your own analyzer, It's your call. For me I never got one because every place I went for travel they always had a good quality analyzer. Bonaire is pretty good with equipment, compressors, etc... But I have experienced some pretty shady practices in other less developed countries.

Just to share some experiences with you hopefully you can learn and stay safe...

1. I'm pretty friendly with a local dive shop. I asked for 50% 02 mix in a stage bottle for decompression diving. I go to pick up my bottle (the shop owner busts my balls in a friendly manner saying I don't trust him) and I test it and it had 100% o2 in the bottle. Long story...to partial pressure mix nitrox, you have to first add 02 then top it off with air. The guy that mixed the gas put the 02 in the bottle, must have had a brain fart and put the tank in the 'done' pile. He never went back and topped the bottle off with air.

Lesson learned, S*hit happens, people make mistakes, etc.... Never assume what the mix... Always test it yourself.

2. Went to a quarry around my area. I asked one kid with a nose ring to fill my doubles with air because I would be diving in the 140-155 range the next weekend. You can dive with a 25% O2 mix at this depth, but once you get around this range, for me it's not worth it and I dive 21%. Everyone will have their own opinion. I come back an hour later and the tanks were filled. Some people don't test if they just get air, butl I tested it anyway and it was 30% The other kid that was running the fill station said... "your tanks said Nitrox only, so I put Nitrox in them". I wanted to pull his nose ring right out of his face....

Again, if you don't exactly understand the above, and what could have gone wrong.. keep reading and asking questions about Nitrox until you can read the above and understand what could have happened.

So hope you learn from my experience... Dive safe my friend and any questions please ask.
Rich

Leave yours at home. We did. As said above, there's two at the dock and one at the drive-through. Enjoy!

All the best, James

Darook, I was wondering the same thing as I'll be staying at Buddy Dive from the 3rd to the 11th. When will you be there?

I will be around Buddy's Oct 10-17. Maybe see y'all then. Staying at Lighthouse Beach in a friend's condo however. Will be hanging out at the bar at Buddy's though.

I will be there Oct. 10-17 as well! You can feel pretty confident that I will be paying the bar a visit. Our trips will overlap by a day Chuck. Hope to meet you both. I am the red headed guy with a blond wife and two teenage blond girls. Real name is Bruce.

Will look for you Bruce. Look for me with Harley shirt or doo rag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom