Do divemasters join you on boat dives, or are you on your own?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tropical Jill

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Although I am PADI certified, and have hundreds of dives under my belt, I prefer to dive with a local guide/divemaster - some who knows the underwater environment where I am diving at the time. That way I enjoy my dive more.

In the PI, do most dive operations have the divemaster accompany you on the boat dives, or do they drop you off and have you navigate and explore yourself ? I am getting mixed information in my research, so thought I’d ask the “pros”!

Thanks.

the former. It's standard to have a dive guide/dive master with you on all the dives. Usually comes with the price of the dive (boat, weight belt, tanks, DM).

Where did you decide to go?

chip104 is correct. We always have a DM with us on our dives.
Not like here in California, where you are on your own and the DM stays on the boat.

TJ,
Chip and Blue steal mirror my experiences. I've found the DMs here in the Philippines to be much more available than those in Hawaii, for example.

I also agree with Chip that your choice of destinations is important.

Blue steal -- from you posts, I thought you were here in the PI. Where do you dive in So Cal?

I'm currently in PG and the other day we had 5 divers and 4 guides (instructors and DMs) - great ratio ! Ok, so all but one were having a fun dive, but they're still marked down as DMs so if someone has to go up early they can and the rest of us can stay down and enjoy the rest of the dive. Even if it's one DM for the group, if they feel comfortable enough, they will allow you to stay down with your buddy if they have to take someone up who's low on air and you stick to the general rules about dive time etc and throw up an SMB etc.

double post due to unreliable connection - Tropical Depression Ondoy...

bobshreve;
My wifes family lives in Anilao. I visit every year. My friend just opened a budget dive camp in San Jose, (Kiko), and has a dive shop in Mabini, MAKdiver. Looks like it will do well.
I live close the beach in Southern California, grew up surfing, sailing, freediving, but recently scuba.
I see your from Makati. I do enjoy the restaurants there and have a few friends who live out that way.

Thanks Chip104 (and everyone else).

To answer where we are going- so far we have decided on Alano Beach, Dumaguete, Apo Island, Moalboal, Sipilay and/or wherever else we end up. If we meet people along the way that reccommend a place, we might change courses and go there instead! We are winging it- no plans and a month to travel :)

jill

And don't forget the uncrowded reefs of Sarangani Bay and Tinoto Point in Southern Mindanao, a true paradise way down south. Access is via Gen. Santos.

Back
Top Bottom