Do dive computers require annual inspections?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ramsy

Contributor
Reaction score
Yesterday, my wife's Suunto Vyper 2 depth sensor went out. I purchased the computer within the last 2 years and have the original receipt. The Suunto manual tells me to take it the retailer I purchased the computer from for service. I took it to the UTC Sports Chalet where I originally purchased the computer. I presented the computer and the original receipt to Dave in the scuba department. He asked me if I had an annual inspection performed on the computer within a year of purchase. I told him I had never heard of any such thing. He then proceeded to tell me *very confidentially* that I had voided my warranty.

The Suunto manual says nothing in the warranty section about needing an annual inspection to maintain the warranty.

Has anyone heard of any dive computer manufacturer requiring their computers to be annual inspected in order to maintain the warranty?

Don't tell anybody else, but Dave doesn't always know what he is talking about. As long as he provides the necessary warranty service, it is no big deal. Just a point to remember if you have any future dealings with him.

Last edited by a moderator:
annual inspections of dive computers ??? That's a new one, yet another good reason to avoid retail dealers and shop on E-Bay/Leisure Pro, why pay 2X the price with a warranty they can weezle out of by making such crap up?

I beleive Dave is confusing somebody else warranty with suunto. Have Dave read page 39 and 49 of the manual.

I beleive Dave is confusing somebody else warranty with suunto. Have Dave read page 39 and 49 of the manual.

The craziest part of my conversation with Dave was the fact that I brought the manual in with me. I tried to point out to him that the warranty section states nothing about requiring an annual inspection. However, Dave would not even look at the manual. He simply continued to claim that I was wrong. He wrote on the repair ticket that the repair center should contact me directly if there is any problem with the warranty as he believes my failure to have had an annual inspection performed voided the warranty and he would not deal with them on my behalf.

I then asked Dave what they do during the annual inspection of the computer that would help the computer last longer. His response was that they "update the algorithms." It was then, that I knew Dave might not know what he was talking about. If he had said that they changed the o-ring, then maybe I could see some benefit of an annual inspection.

Finally, I told Dave, I was never told of the need for an annual inspection in order to maintain my 2 year warranty when I purchased the computer. So, I asked Dave, what do you normally tell your customers when they buy Suunto computers. His response, unbelievably was "I tell them nothing."

To paraphrase the boy in the Sixth Sense: I see stupid people everywhere, and they don't even know they're dumb.

Adam

Ramsy make sure you give him a copy of your receipt so when they send it to aqualung they will see that it is under warranty. I would not give him my only copy.

When they do an annual service they change the o-ring, recalibrate, update the software and pressure check the computer I forgot and put a new battery in as well.

NCadiver,

Thanks. I agree. Before I went to the store, I made a copy of the receipt and had Dave attach the copy of the receipt to the work order. I retained the original receipt just in case there is a problem with the warranty coverage.

Ramsy make sure you give him a copy of your receipt so when they send it to aqualung they will see that it is under warranty. I would not give him my only copy.

Once again the LDS shoots itself in the foot......

3462170271_32630169b3_o.gif

I then asked Dave what they do during the annual inspection of the computer that would help the computer last longer. His response was that they "update the algorithms."

At that point, I would have laughed out loud, asked for my computer back, walked out and taken my business elsewhere. Permanently.

It's stories like this one that make me really appreciate my favorite LDS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom