DM Two Week Internship with Mike Ball

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmp

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey Folks,

I am trying to research and gather some unbiased information about the Mike Ball Dive Operation to GBR/Coral Sea.

I have my DM and was toying with the idea of doing the Mike Ball DM/ Dive Op internship that they run but wanted some more information. The information on the Mike Ball site itself is slim - minimal at best.

Does anyone know anybody that has done this? Has anyone themselves done it? Can anyone give me any other information or point me in a direction?

I know it wold be work - not a vacation. Which I am fine with, I am just looking at it from an experience stand point, and if some diving is tossed in then that's just a plus. According to their site the DM/Dive Op interns - run and assist with the dive deck, as well as, dive with the guests. Costs are minimal (Outside of getting there) and buying a few clothing items that they require (nothing crazy).

I guess Im just wondering about hidden costs? personal experiences with the operation....etc etc.

Any help would be great ? Also best time of year to be out on GBR (in the event I manage to do this)???

I can give you the perspective of someone who has been on a Mike Ball trip and who talked and interacted a lot with the DMTS on board. The job duties you've mentioned all were what they seemed to do and they also seemed to get in a lot of diving and all were having a great time with MB. As a place to work, it would seem to be fantastic...it's a fun atmosphere and a well run operation. My only criticism from a passenger's standpoint (and a fairly big one), was the way diving was run if you opted to do "guided" dives as opposed to going off with a buddy. You really were herded together and chided if you strayed even a short distance away...you never had so many 1000+ dive divers unanimously unhappy at being treated like brand new divers...and individuals leading the dives really didn't seem to have great ability as spotters..so it was more like guided "swims." All this was completely different from my experience on any of the other 20+ LOBs I've been on. I will say the uptight nature towards the perception of "safety" I have seen prevalent in many Queensland operators...but it definitely takes some of the fun out of the diving. Despite that, I would do the trip again and otherwise have always recommended them to others...it would seem to be a great place to intern. And since diving in Aus is so expensive, it is probably the one cheap way to dive the area!

As to when to best dive the GBR, you'll probably get better answers from locals, but from my experience I think all year round is good. You will get minke whales around July and I know MB does special trips that focus on seeing them.

I seem to recall that you have to have a valid Australian work permit. I may have seen that under their volunteer program information. It's been a few years since I looked though.

I'd say you will need a work visa as it'd be a requirement to meet Australian workplace insurance laws.

I've only been a guest as well... the comment from the dive staff there was "if you want to go diving for a week, just pay the money, don't bother with the volunteering. you don't go on every dive, you work quite long hours and you sleep in (more) uncomfortable surroundings."

it depends on your intention of the trip, but if you're coming out here specifically for it, I'd just save a few more pennies and be pampered whilst on board.

Back
Top Bottom