DM Pre-Dive Briefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LIVES4SHARKS

SHARK DIVA AI
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I worked my first OW checkout dive weekend as a DM. I had to give a dive brief at Ginnie Springs and wondered if anyone had any suggestions to make a brief simple but inclusive for NAUI standards. I had some fumblings on the first day, but improved the 2nd, but it still needs some work.

I appreciate your help.
Carolyn:shark2:

I don't know about NAUI, but I know what I've been learning about briefing sites in my PADI DM class. My first one was very thorough, but mind-numbingly long . . . What I figured out is to try to combine two or three of the bullet points, where they can be combined. For example, I can say, "This site is SeaCrest Park Cove 2. The street address, if you have to call 911, is 1600 Harbor Avenue. The phone is in the restaurant, which is a great place to get a warm drink between dives -- but don't go in there in your wet or dry suit! Bathroom are at the end of the restaurant building." Presto -- Dive site name, emergency response information, and amenities all covered in a couple of sentences. When I tried to do the points more or less in order, it was really inefficient and made the brief too long.

I found that to be my problem also...I appreciate your imput. In my leadership log, there is a limited outline, so I am trying to work out a narration that seems to cover the points without going too simple or too intensive. Who knew this would be so hard. :idk:

Last edited:
PADI gave us this slate and if you follow that slate, you're going to give a through and complete dive briefing. When I did the Aquacat a few years ago they followed it to a 't'. It was nice. But were were at a new dive site multiple times a day. Rehearing emergency and recall procedures wasn't bad.

For checkout dives that briefing is way too long. The students have enough going on. We give a good chunk of the briefing at the end of the last academic session. They can ask questions, so on so forth.

When we're at the quarry doing the checkouts we can breeze through a lot of the points, and then really hammer home the important points.

I'm not familiar with the NAUI requirements for briefings, but personally I'd suggest "ignoring" (to some extent) what you are expected to say and instead turn the briefings around to include the student divers.

Taking Lynne's example, rather than saying "This site is SeaCrest Park Cove 2. The street address, if you have to call 911, is 1600 Harbor Avenue" - turn it into a question, "have any of you been here before?". If everyone has, then you don't need to provide as much detail in your briefing as if no one had been there before.

Dialogue is a really good way to give briefings - rather than say "we'll dive to 15m for 30 minutes", simply ask the divers what they want to do. Then moderate their plan on the basis of their capability. Again, by asking questions... "60 minutes - are you sure you guys won't be cold on that dive? Don't forget we've got a second dive as well, and if you get too cold then you might not want to do that one".

Empower the (student) divers, get them to do your briefing for you by working out the plan etc. Your role then becomes facilitator rather than commander.

It may not help you "pass" the assessment, but you will give some damn fine briefings that divers engage with!

Thanks so much for your responses. It has definitely helped. :)

You'll find your own style with practice, and the more you do the better you get! Asking questions is my way of doing things, but it's not the only way. But it does work for all the main points that should be in a briefing....."how do you guys think that we'll get in to the water?" or "do you know where you would find the O2 in case of emergency?". Making it more conversational makes it more natural and easier to get a bit of a flow going that suits you.

Dive briefings for OW check-out dives are, in my opinion, a little different from dive briefings for certified divers.

For OW students, a bunch of the briefing is done either ahead of time or mixed in with the classwork. For example, when the students show up to Breakwater (Monterey), we tell them to put their gear on our tarp. We then ask them how the drive was for them (etc.) If you need to go the bathroom, it over there. Did you get a parking ticket from that vending machine and put it on your dashboard? yada, yada. Then before we have them suit up, we take them over to the wall and discuss what needs to be known about diving Monterey (OW dive 1) and discuss entry and exit techniques. They suit up, enter the water and swim to the float as a group. We then give them their dive briefing on what we will be doing when we submerge.

Breaking up the dive briefing for OW students makes it more manageable for people who are already overwhelmed by the shear numbers of divers and the fact that they are FINALLY going to be REALLY diving (as opposed to that pool stuff.)

For certified divers, I prefer to see it broken up as well. So, boat safety and procedures before the boat leaves. Exit procedures and dive site info before jumping in.

When giving a briefing at Ginnie. Amongst other things, I will include and emphasize the no light rule, point out the Ginnie staffer that is there. Let them know that they can be approached for help, answers, etc. If the group isn't large, I'll even do the briefing while walking them around pointing out the ear, eye and needle. Entry points and methods. Then go get geared up and re-emphasize anything that I think needs to be gone over again.

The most important thing I was taught: They are called BRIEFings for a reason!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom