DM (PADI) Equipment swap with buddy breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For now I finished first review, observed 2 classes run by my instructor and DMs and did first 3 tests (400y swim - 1pt, 15/2min tread -5pts, 800y snorkel - 3pts - missed last one by a second for 4pts). I am progressing faster than I thought as it worked out with my work schedule.

Looks like you need a 3 or better in the diver tow.

I would say that it is easy to get a 4. It is easy to get a 5 if you get to chose your victim.

Hints: Smaller, lighter divers are easier to tow. Avoid towing someone in a dry suit (added drag). Use the tow that lets you go in the straightest line while maximizing speed. Try to do this somewhere that you can tow in a single straight line with no turns.

DBailey:
Hints: Smaller, lighter divers are easier to tow. Avoid towing someone in a dry suit (added drag). Use the tow that lets you go in the straightest line while maximizing speed. Try to do this somewhere that you can tow in a single straight line with no turns.

If it's a tired buddy tow, loop a buddy line around the tank valve and drag them behind you. You'll get the fastest possible tow. This doesn't work if towing an conscious diver (OK, it works, but you might drown your buddy).

If it's a tired buddy tow, loop a buddy line around the tank valve and drag them behind you. You'll get the fastest possible tow.

Ohhh, I like that idea. I'll have to give it a try. Since I always have a length of rope with me in case I need to rig something for lifting.

If you have to "rig" the test to pass.(smaller buddy etc..) YOU ARE NOT READY

During DM, my buddy and I just slowed down and relaxed. There is no time limit so we made a valiant attempt to put our instructor to sleep:D What I found helpful was that he helped me with my fins and I helped him with his. We used two completely different weight integrated BCDs and there is a big difference in our sizes and shapes so we just made sure everything was wide open (straps) before hand off. We used a little extra weight but not much. The big help was practicing donning and doffing the BCD underwater. Once that skill and piece of equipment wasn't a challenge, we were good to go.

We did it twice. The first time, it was exchange gear and buddy breath while continuously swimming :furious: That wasn't in the standard and it was put in by an instructor who was filling in for that one session because our regular instructor had some kind of issue that day. We didn't pass the first time and just blew it off. The next time I decided that I wouldn't allow that to be an issue. If this is designed to test your ability to manage stress then, the first thing we teach new divers is STOP and BREATH. I refused to go through an exercise that required exactly the opposite. Ended up being a non-issue when our regular instructor returned.

The one lesson I learned from the failed attempt was to be far more understanding of my students. Scuba instruction isn't about saying "hey look how cool I am". It is about helping folks be SAFE doing what we all love.

If you have to "rig" the test to pass.(smaller buddy etc..) YOU ARE NOT READY

I have a differing opinion.

If this were a true skill evaluation, then I agree that "rigging" it would be wrong. Since this is a timed, stamina exercise, opting to do it in a way that yields maximum results is just common sense.

There is nothing in the exercise standard that sets the criteria for the inert diver's physical characteristics.

I have a differing opinion.

If this were a true skill evaluation, then I agree that "rigging" it would be wrong. Since this is a timed, stamina exercise, opting to do it in a way that yields maximum results is just common sense.

There is nothing in the exercise standard that sets the criteria for the inert diver's physical characteristics.

Plus I have to do it in a 25yard length pool. Which meant 8 laps for swim and 16 laps for snorkel. That alone slowed me down esp. for snorkel part so I definitely would have gotten it under time needed for 4 points on it.

So I wonder what is my option to minimize time loss for tow. I figured fin push is fastest if you have 100yards straight but if you have to make a turn tank tow would be faster as you could turn while your buddy is still behind so technically (s)he doesn't go all 25 yards in each direction.

I loved that skill we had so much fun doing it. The onle issue was my buddy has a hudge head so my mask did not fit his big head so he could not get it in right away. Was funny watching him put the mask on the first time.

If its commonsense to rig it, then just bring an inflatable doll.

The tests are to simulate a possible event and "test" your ability. In the case of equipment swap its a test of your problem solving skills and comfort in the water.

If these are things that aren't worth testing individuals on, then make your case and get the agency/agencies to drop those tests and you might as well just ask them to drop all testing since tests discriminate against those who don't try,practice or study.

If its commonsense to rig it, then just bring an inflatable doll.

The tests are to simulate a possible event and "test" your ability. In the case of equipment swap its a test of your problem solving skills and comfort in the water.

If these are things that aren't worth testing individuals on, then make your case and get the agency/agencies to drop those tests and you might as well just ask them to drop all testing since tests discriminate against those who don't try,practice or study.

It is not a test, nor is it a skill. It is a timed, stamina exercise (re: the inert diver tow).

The timed inert diver tow has little, if any, real world applications. In the real world, I would get the diver to shore/boat as quickly as possible while monitoring the person's panic level, taking care of injuries, rescue breathing if necessary, offering encouragement, gear removal, and trying to establish self-rescue techniques. Also, my pace would also be highly dependent on my distance from shore/boat, and whether or not I need to save energy for the exit. And I highly doubt that someone will be timing me while I take care of my victim.

Also, I do take issue with the four stamina exercises, and I have let PADI know. I can care less to know that my DMC can mask-fins-snorkel 800 yards in a given time. I can care less that my DMC can swim 400 yards at an Olympic pace. I can care less that my DMC can tread water for 13 minutes and then another 2 minutes without the hands in the water. I would glady trade the time spent on these for better, more accurate real world scenarios that a DM could be faced with.

The only thing the stamina exercises are good for it to weed out those candidates that lack even the minimum stamina requirements.

To show how silly these are...the DMC needs 12 cumulative points over the four exercises. I have seen each of these:

DMC #1 is naturally buoyant, but can't "swim". It takes the DMC 30 minutes to complete the 400 yard swim using some sort of lazy back stoke. 30 minutes is 1 point. Due to being naturally buoyant, the tread (which allows floating) was no issue for a 5. Surprisingly, the DMC can snorkel quite well for a 4. He only needed a 2 to complete the scoring on the tow which is less than 5 minutes. 20 yards every minute is very easy.

DMC #2 was a competive bodybuilder and triathalon contestant (ie like 0% body fat). Swim = 5, Snorkel = 5, Tread (sinker) took two tries for a 1. He only needed to complete the tow regardless of time for 1 point to pass.

Both passed, but who (#1 or #2) would you prefer to see as a DM just based on these facts?

DMC #3 gets to complete all of the exercises using a 100 yard pool/quarry (confined water conditions) versus DMC #4 that get to complete all of the exercises in a 10 yard pool. Turning chruns up a lot of time in these exercises. The DMC in the pool actaully has to work harder to acheive the same score.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom