DM Internships

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Cave Diver:
The discussion about Dive Master internships has been split from the original thread and moved here. Please keep this discussion civil and without name calling.

ONE MONTH CARIBBEAN INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY: Multi-faceted PADI Dive Center located in the British Virgin Islands is seeking Divemasters or Instructors that need experience in true Resort Operations. Minimum requirement is a current PADI Member with Divemaster status. The goal of this program is to give you the skills necessary to work in the dive industry. You will work hard, it is not a vacation in the caribbean, but you will be rewarded with great adventures, beautiful sights and new friends. Your will have the opportunity to gain experience in areas such as leading and participating in dive tours and classes, eco-tours and snorkeling trips, learning to crew and/or operate boats, basic boat competency/maintenance, equipment servicing, compressor operations, retail training and sales in shop and various retail duties, customer service and many others. This is a fabulous opportunity that will be a highlight in anyone's life and diving experience. This internship can lead to future,full time paid employment. Accommodations will be provided; you are responsible for living expenses. Serious inquiries only please. One opening left for MAY 1 2010. Two new internships available each month, so check back often!

Last edited by a moderator:
So in other words...You are looking for some free labor??? Offers like yours, and even worse, desperate "Pro Dive" graduates who are living on mommy and daddys monthly checks accepting such ridiculous offers, is what makes diving a poor career choice. PLEASE people, DO NOT work for free!!! Internship???? You intern at a law firm or for a judge during law shcool, you intern at a hospital during med school. You don't intern at a scuba shop! He's looking for someone to spend 12 hours a day washing boats, filling tanks, and schlepping gear. Added to which indignity, he does not want to cut into profits by compensating said slave for there time. PLEASE dont do it.

Hi -

I'm bringing my family to your area. I am willing to let you take us out diving for 3 weeks for free. You must provide excellent service and top-notch diving. In return, I will allow you to use this experience in your portfolio and marketing materials. Please reply with your qualifications.

Wow. If you don't want to do it, don't. The only people that make serious money in the dive industry are the agencies, equipment manufacturers and insurance companies. If a resort wants to try to hire some interns as part of their business plan, so be it. It might work or backfire but it's their plan. This position would not be for everyone but I can easily see that it would be something some people would be interested in and if they make that decision, who are we (or "you") to disparage them?

Nobody is knocking the diver who wants to slave for free. I'm knocking the operator who had the nerve to make that silly post!

Thank God we have people in the world who are all knowing and we can rely on to share their wisdon and save us from thinking for ourselves.

I have no dog in this fight, but isn't that they way that DM internships normally work?

I have never heard of paying someone to work whilst they have no professional insurance, and all they hold is a rescue diver qualification.

I don't know the guys at JVD Scuba personally, but I don't see them doing anything different to hundreds of other operators in the Caribbean (and elsewhere?).

Nobody is knocking the diver who wants to slave for free. I'm knocking the operator who had the nerve to make that silly post!
I don't have a problem with it as a customer. I have been on the Spoilsport twice with an intern on the crew each time and I was impressed with their competence and enthusiasm. The dive operator has an ethical obligation--as well as commercial incentives--to field a competent staff. If he can do it with volunteers, why should I mind?

If an aspiring dive professional asked me whether to pursue this offer, I'd recommend against it. But I'd also recommend that they pursue another line of work. Those who ignore the latter advice are more apt to ignore the former as well.

When I worked in NY, we'd hire interns each summer and pay them pretty well, even though there was a surfeit of applicants and I'm sure we could have gotten qualified people to do it for free. We viewed it not only as an opportunity to "test drive" potential employees, but also as a recruiting opportunity, and we wanted to put our best foot forward as a firm.

Actually the DM internship is before you get your DM status.. not after.. The idea is that the internship is part of your training as a DM. Then it pays. Once a DM you are a PRO and deserve pay. Sorry.. internships should be for DM candidates, not DM's Mr. Shop owner or it is taking advantage. It is friggin hard to do your DM cert!

So the shop owner should pay the intern, huh? Which of the consequences will then happen? 1) the shop owner makes a smaller profit? 2) the shop own charges customers more? 3) the shop owner cuts other costs, e.g. safety or comfort items?

Back
Top Bottom