DM course | what you'd have done differently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve mentioned in the past on here - I did all my classes in college… I was interested in scuba ever since I can remember. I got into it in college as a way to knock out me PE credits faster with less classes. So it took me 1 semester per OW, AoW, Rescue and DM for a total of 2 years. I taught classes through 99/2000, not sure how long. I would not change a thing about it, I felt my training was superior to a shop class because it was longer.

When I register on boats or with shops, I only register as being an AOW diver with nitrox.

Am alternative might be to take the DM course but to never finish it/file the paperwork.

I wonder if you sign on as an AOW and something happens and they check everyones training will the DM status show up and then get in trouble?

If you do the DM course and not plan on filling out the paperwork I would go for master scubadiver or something else instead.

I will just say having done my DM relatively recently, paying for the professional insurance for liability reasons adds up, especially if you don't intend to use it for profit purposes. I learned a lot during the course but having the liability is daunting.

Where I am from as a DM I don't need to pay liability insurance. The shop puts me on their insurance. I am only covered when I am acting DM in their activities though. If I decide to do something on my own then I need my own insurance.

I'm not the slightest bit worried about being sued simply because I have a DM cert. There are plenty of other things in life to worry about.

Suits are aimed at all involved to avoid an empty chair that everybody can point at and say it is their fault.

I go diving when I can. The boats I dive do not have a DM in the water unless it is a private one. My nondiving wife likes me to have a buddy. So I have had a lot of instabuddies often less experienced. So I find myself frequently acting as a guide anyway. One of the reasons I became a DM. Also a buddy was an instructor and I helped him with some courses which I enjoyed. Money not an issue. Was just more diving which is good.

When I register on boats or with shops, I only register as being an AOW diver with nitrox.

Am alternative might be to take the DM course but to never finish it/file the paperwork.
Liability of pros vacationing on a charter has often been discussed here. As wetb4 says, there is no point in concealing your DM cert., it will come out. What I take from those old threads is your "higher level of responsibility" seems to only be an issue if you have been a cause of an accident. I often wonder if there is even a higher than normal level of responsibility when 2 OW divers agree to be buddies. If one of them is at fault for something, how does that shake out? Different topic though.

My DM course was a very good one. I do not think I would have changed much however I would have out some time in on training for the swims.

As for RAID which I have done recreational and technical training through, RAID does require skills to be done neutral. The instructor who allowed a student to kneel may not be doing things the way RAID teaches and rather, how he was taught from the start. I would guess he crossed over from another agency.

I think you will have a great time and learn a ton during the RAID DM course. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I wonder if you sign on as an AOW and something happens and they check everyones training will the DM status show up and then get in trouble?
Your professional status doesn't show up under the dive check app in PADI, you would need to look an individual up by their pro status - at least on a shop and individual level. Regardless, I do this mainly so that I am not used to babysit divers. I honestly list the number of dives that I have and tell the truth if asked, but I don't volunteer it on forms.

Where I am from as a DM I don't need to pay liability insurance. The shop puts me on their insurance. I am only covered when I am acting DM in their activities though. If I decide to do something on my own then I need my own insurance.
I did this when I was working with a given shop but I'm not at the moment because I'm in grad school overseas. My worry is and has been diving for fun outwith working as a DM.

To avoid being used to babysit new divers.

I wish that someone had told me this going into the program.
those are the reasons i dont become a DM in fact I think from my observation being a DM is about being a teacher more so than being a diver, Ive seen a number of DM who are good divers but lousy teachers - as a customer ideally you want skilled divers who love teaching people

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom