Dizzy and light headed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This has happen a couple times now where when we go diving for a couple days in a row or multiple dives. My wife has complained of being light headed and dizzy for a few days afterwards. Any ideas what this can be from? If she is to call a doctor which kind should she call? I was going to try and contact someone from DAN today. Thx in advance

Start with DAN. It sounds like an ear issue, maybe something any old ENT could figure out, but DAN would be the best to point you in the right direction and/or provide a referral. I've been dizzy and light-headed from alternobaric vertigo, but that goes away after a half-hour, not several days.

I agree with Mossman. Contact DAN. Get a referral to a dive-savvy physician.

The differential diagnosis for dizziness and lightheadedness is a long and varied list of conditions.
At a minimum, expect the physician to take a detailed history, a physical exam (with attention to the cardiac and neurological systems), and appropriate diagnostic tests.

I'll make it unanimous. Likely an ear thing, but definitely a "get checked by a doctor" thing. The doctor in the first instance should be an HENT. Some doctors list themselves as being in "dive medicine" and if you find one of those, great. The symptoms described can also be related to dehydration, so she should be sure to stay well hydrated. Also, she should be aware of the need for continued equalization during a dive as depths change. That includes equalizing her mask. So, see a doctor, deal with any medical/physiological issues, then add these tips to follow, and all should be well.
DivemasterDennis

"Dizzy" is one of the most difficult symptoms in medicine to sort out. The reason for it is that people use the term to describe very different things. Dizzy can mean off balance or even having a feeling of spinning; this is related to the inner ear, or to the posterior part of the brain. "Lightheaded", on the other hand, usually refers to someone feeling as though they might faint; this is usually related to problems with the circulation to the brain, either from inadequate pumping or inadequate volume. Trying to get a patient to describe these symptoms in detail sometimes makes me want to tear my hair out, because the workup for the two different kinds of feelings is quite different.

Dizzy OR lightheaded symptoms that persist for days are also quite different from transient symptoms; alternobaric vertigo can make one very dizzy on ascent and for a short time after surfacing, but should quickly resolve. Major barotrauma to the inner ear, on the other hand, can cause vertigo that is persistent -- but it normally wouldn't resolve in one or two days.

I have to admit that the description of symptoms and duration do not add up well to me, and a visit to a diving-savvy physician would seem in order, particularly if the problem is recurrent with repeated diving.

I would concurr with everyone as to seeing a qualified physician first and rule out any major conditions. If you are a member of DAN, they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Having said that, I would like to offer a different perspective as a pain therapist since I have treated a few clients (divers and surfers) with similar conditions. All the cases boiled down to stress placed around the shoulder and/or cervical areas through overuse (keeping the neck in certain position for extended periods, excessive force on the mouthpiece, etc) or mechanical load (equipment putting excessive compression at the base of the trapezius, excessively tight mask, whiplash from falls, etc).

The structures I addressed included splenius capitis, splenius cervicis, Trapezius I and II, Subclavius, Rectus Capitis, Cervical Multifidi, Masseters, Stylohyoids, Digastrics, Levator Scapulae, Scalenes, Suboccipitals, and Sternocleidomastoids.

Travell and Simon have documented all the effects the aforementioned structures have on the vestibular system producing effects such as vertigo, tinitus, ear ache, visual disturbances, among others. Their works can be found on "Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction"

The divers and surfers I treated were beginners and their bodies still getting acquainted with the mechanical demands of their activities, and anxiety exacerbated their discomfort.

Please do not take my advice as a diagnosis or course of action, only your physician can do that. I am simply offering a different perspective should your physician rule out any significant conditions and the diagnosis seems elusive (as was the case with my clients)

Wishing your wife the best and a prompt recovery.

This has happen a couple times now where when we go diving for a couple days in a row or multiple dives. My wife has complained of being light headed and dizzy for a few days afterwards. Any ideas what this can be from? If she is to call a doctor which kind should she call? I was going to try and contact someone from DAN today. Thx in advance
@RDRINK25: Out of curiosity...

Were the incidents in question related to boat dives?
Was your wife taking any anti-seasickness meds?

@RDRINK25: Out of curiosity...

Were the incidents in question related to boat dives?
Was your wife taking any anti-seasickness meds?
Good point. After bouncing around on a liveaboard for 7-10 days, I've definitely felt dizzy and light-headed for a day or two after, my brain thinking it's still on a boat while my body really isn't moving.

Good point. After bouncing around on a liveaboard for 7-10 days, I've definitely felt dizzy and light-headed for a day or two after, my brain thinking it's still on a boat while my body really isn't moving.
Ah! That sounds like mal de debarquement. Not light-headed/gonna-faint, nor dizzy/spinning, but dizzy/boat's-still-rocking?

Yet another symptom often lumped under dizzy/light-headed.

Thx everyone for your response's. We were diving for two days in a row on a boat and yes she had tanking some med's but she was feeling the affects 2-3 days afterwards? You would think they would be out of system by then. I talked to her some more and to go deeper in the situation. She takes her time descending and this is do to equalizing. She states that it there is no pain once she does descend and when she is down there is no issues. Talking with her more I mentioned ears and she said that her ears didn't hurt but that they felt clogged a little. She has made an apt with a doctor to have them checked out but as of now they feel fine.:idk:

Back
Top Bottom