dizziness and plugged ears after multiple dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shawn2012

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I am an Advanced diver and finished a liveaboard in Thailand about 5 days ago. I had an issue w one ear the first few days (it seemed plugged out of the water) but was able to equalize easily. About the 10th dive, equalization took a little longer and there was some small pain in my ear periodically. Then I got a major headache. I sat out the next two dives and then did another one the next day in which I felt nauseated but still was able to equalize. I sat out another then went down again, equalized ok but began throwing up when I was at about 20 meters. I was able to do the full safety stop before getting violently sick at the top. I was sick all that day and obviously didn't dive.

Four days later, I still feel like I am on a ship (with the deck pitching back and forth) and my ear is still blocked. I work in a country with not very good medical support (and they would have no idea about diving), so am hoping to get some good advice here.

A few other things; I haven't had trouble w my ears before, we dove between 15- 30 meters with good safety stops, I was well hydrated, and I had one incident where we had been at about 12 meters at the end of a dive for some time - when I was filling the bouy I surfaced too fast and had to swim back down to do the safety stop.

I am mostly worried about the dizziness as it seems to have gone on too long. Any suggestions?

Very common to have. See an ENT doc and explain how it happened. With proper meds, it should clear up. Mine always have.

I did see an ENT once who told me I was perfectly fine. He said it was all in my head and suggested Xanax for anxiety. I told him not to waste the ink in his pen writing the Rx. As a personal favor, my son's pediatrician took a look with some instrument that is inserted in the ear and creates tones to detect ear drum reverberation which detects inner ear fluid or infections. Mine was way off. With some Antibiotics and a prednisone dose pack, it cleared up in a couples days.

Please see a doctor right away. You can always call DAN (diver's alert network 1-800-446-2671 in the US). They can suggest a physician in your area who is knowledgable about diving injuries.

I am wondering if you have ear squeeze or a small perforation. I blew my eardrum on a dive and although it was a small perf, I became violently dizzy and felt like I was going to vomit. I had trouble feeling stable in any position except lying down. This was years ago, but I recall the doctor treated me with a steroid and antibiotic as well as doing hearing tests. I had to stay out of the water for 9 months but was able to dive without an problems once I was cleared to go back in the water. Please call now and you can send me a private message if you like because I would like to know how you are getting along.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom