Dizzines, light headedness and vomiting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, the first time I read this I wondered what in the world compelled you to eat it in the first place? :rofl3:
Good one:rofl3:

NOT A DOCTOR, The following is not medical advice. IMHO call DAN, and see a physician. You need a medical evaluation. It could be anything from vertigo caused by a a medical issue (perhaps too aggressive clearing?) to something else or it could be as simple as too tight a seal.

I'm going with dehydration compounded by dry suit. Since you're new, it probably hit you pretty hard.
Do you normally drink pretty much just water and the like, or coffee/tea/sodas like most of us?(myself included). The first time I put a dry suit on was in an 80 degree indoor pool and by the end of the dive I had a severe headache and nausea. I thought I was going to pass out, everyone was very concerned. I told them thanks, but not to worry, i'd feel fine. On the way home, I pulled over and puked about 3 weeks worth of food for a while, my girlfriend had to drive. Obviously, if you still feel like this, go see a doctor. If you feel fine, i'd give it another albeit careful attempt, letting friends/dive buddies know what happened last time and you may end the dive early. Try not to work too hard while in the dry suit and relax and have fun. Just my 2 cents.
Thnaks. The first time was exactly that, hot , in a pool, with the undergarment on. I wasn't dehydrated though. I thought hyperthermia also. The second one in open water was clearly not either one. I was well hydrated without soda and it was 50 degrees. First time I did not have a hood but did on the second dive. I'm checking with my ENT Dr.
Thanks

Klaud

I did a dive in a DS with a neck seal that was two rings too tight. That was my exact same reaction with the exception of the symptoms resolved much quicker. Considering the cardiovascular effects of compressing the carotid arteries I wonder if the borderline HBP didn't make things worse.

If it's your DS try taking a ring out of the neck seal before diving it again.

I have less than 10 dives. I am basic certified. I have a problem. I just passed my dry suit but I got dizzy, light headed and vomited after each dive (both times at the surface). All less than 40', one in a 15' pool. I do have significant problems equalizing my ears (old sinus problems and previous throat surgery for sleep apnea.) I am always the slowest descent in the class due to the ears. I have 3 possible explanations. High blood pressure (actually very mild. I almost don't need meds) 2nd Too tight seal at neck with dry suit or hood (I did not have problems during my basic in the Bahamas when I didn't wear even a wet suit but maybe I was just lucky) 3rd Could I be getting an effect from too aggressively trying to clear my ears by nose pinching (swallowing does not work consistently for me). I literally have to clear my ears every two or three breaths during a descent and maybe I am "blowing" too hard. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm not sure that it's safe to continue diving. The light headedness has persisted for about 30 hours. Only vomited a single time.

Klaud,
One thing no one else has mentioned is possible vertigo. The dizziness thing is what has me there. Vertigo can present for some as dizziness followed by or in conjunction with light-headedness and vomiting. Vertigo can easily be brought on by forcefully clearing the ears or upon ascent after having forcefully cleared your ears during descent. Do you recall any ear pain during ascent?

The best recommendation is to contact DAN as someone else has noted - and to get a referral for a diving knowledgable doctor - preferably an ENT in your area. I recommend no further diving until you've got this figured out.

Best of luck... and hopefully you'll let us know what you find out...

If you have been light headed for 30 hours after diving GO SEE A DOCTOR. At this point, you either have or have not, but if you STILL feel poorly, well see the previous sentence.

It can be fun to speculate about medical issues online. However if you are feeling bad currently, you need to do something about it when it is ongoing, and I define 30 hours being light headed something to be concerned about. I've felt light headed after a dive, but it did not last more than a couple minutes, and I attributed that to a very mild hangover! :D

Aside from that, I'm betting your neck seal is cutting off circulation, and learning to dive dry with ten dives is not necessarily easy. Don't over clear if possible, and what I mean is don't blow too hard. Clearing often is a good idea, just don't blow out your brains trying to clear.

You have a lot of newbie symptoms and nothing wrong with that as you are new. The consistent light headed condition OTOH is a problem that you need to address, and not a normal side effect for a diver. It is possible that you have done some ear damage, and that is resulting in being light headed.. again.. go to the doctor, and/or contact DAN (however DAN may or may not be a lot of help). You need face time.

Thnaks. The first time was exactly that, hot , in a pool, with the undergarment on. I wasn't dehydrated though. I thought hyperthermia also. The second one in open water was clearly not either one. I was well hydrated without soda and it was 50 degrees. First time I did not have a hood but did on the second dive. I'm checking with my ENT Dr.
Thanks

Klaud

Klaud, don't give up on that hydration / heat exhaustion thing.

First, once you get heat exhaustion, you are more likely to get it in the future.
You are diving on DRY air. It will dehydrate you.
I had the exact same problem, and . . . :shakehead: I still do when I am too STUPID to drink A LOT before I dive. I have had to abort dives 10 minutes or so early because of it . . . Then I 'chum' the water :vomit: on the way back to the boat.

Here's a question -- when you come up alone, and you are barfing your gills out, and swimming towards the ship . . . What do you do when they signal you with the "Okay" :eek:k: signal? I generally respond with the "point finger down throat gag" signal . . .

Seriously -- don't take dehydration lightly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom