DIY zip seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frogman82

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I think I read a post on here a while ago where someone had installed their own zip seal system. It was said that one could turn the standard seal type zip ring inside out and glue it to the suit, and that would connect to the normal zip seal. This seems interesting, anyone tried this?

Great, thanks! If I can get hold of some old rings I may give this a try:)

Try to find someone that uses the silicone ones. Chances are when they rip one they just buy new. Most people that use the latex ones just glue new over the old.

If you give me a few days I will post my findings on gluing new silicone seals on as well. I have found a primer and adhesive that bonds to the silicone. So people should now be able to replace silicone seals with glue.

The pictures below are the same exact zip portion. The first is the side you would glue a seal to. The second is the side you would glue to your suit. I used drysuit glue on one, and neoprene cement on the other. They both held equally as well. You could also use aquaseal if you prefer.

20180412_185247.jpg
20180412_185308.jpg

Here are some more pictures. One is of the same zip portion pictured above. The other is the end of a sleeve that was cut off a suit. I attached them to each other. As you can see, it doesn't matter which way you flip them. They will both still attach and hold. They in fact are the same exact thing. Dui probably doesn't want you to know that though.

20180412_191259.jpg
20180412_191354.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to upload these photos, really helpful to see it and how it works.

Here are some more pictures. One is of the same zip portion pictured above. The other is the end of a sleeve that was cut off a suit. I attached them to each other. As you can see, it doesn't matter which way you flip them. They will both still attach and hold. They in fact are the same exact thing. Dui probably doesn't want you to know that though.
So you can attach glove to glove? Or do you need to find a set of suit side rings to use as a base?

Also interested in your silicone gluing options.

-Chris

You can take your damaged zip seals and remove the wrist rings and simply turn them inside out. Now you have the rings that goes on the suit sleeve.

Back
Top Bottom