DIY Weight "harness"/"vest"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dohh...knew I forgot to do something!

Turns out Tempe sales has both 600 and 1000. I got a yard of 1000 for ~$10 today.

Any pictures of your setup? Sounds interesting.

Here's a pic of one side of the harness, with weights removed. The weight pockets have been flipped end-around for the pic. Notice that the pull cord only releases one side. That gives you more control and avoids having to pull 4 feet of cable to release everything.

The cable is clamped where it crosses to make the loop. You can't see it because it's buried in that nylon patch.

That nylon patch has velcro on the surface, and sticks to the pocket assembly once it's been put together, as shown in the seconds pic.

D

Attachments

• diy photos 022.jpg
    diy photos 022.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 153
  • diy photos 024.jpg
    diy photos 024.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 133
So if I understand the system right, you just thread the cable through those little loops and it just "sits there" (the cable isn't actually clamped to anything)? Much like a pin in a door hinge, when you pull the pin, the hinge separates?

Yes, that's right. There's a plastic loop on the main belt (the fixed side of the hinge). The web loops on the pocket poke through the plastic loop and are kept in place by the cable.

So if I understand the system right, you just thread the cable through those little loops and it just "sits there" (the cable isn't actually clamped to anything)? Much like a pin in a door hinge, when you pull the pin, the hinge separates?

I made the mistake of yanking one of the loops when I first got mine before I really looked at it. Must have taken me 30min to get it back together :dork2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom