DIY Weight "harness"/"vest"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey segraves1:

By the yard and 60 inches wide, you're looking at 13 USD per yard. Almost any color you want. Click here. Item W9350. If you need webbing, look at Type 7 or Type 8 for your needs. 2.45 and 1.70 USD per yard respectively. The type 7 is resin impregnated and may be a little stiff but you could make it work. You could also go with a Type 12, but at 2 USD per yard, I'd go with the slightly thicker but cheaper option. Of course, you'd be ripped to shreds before that harness would come apart.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Thomas

If you've already got a weight belt, they do sell suspenders for them. I forget where I bought mine, but they shouldn't be to hard to find.:D

edit: Just looked it up at Leisure Pro; $20 for suspenders

Welcome to ScubaBoard and thanks for the tip on weight belt suspenders at Leisure Pro!

I'm currently using something similar that I made from soft 2" webbing from an old boat winch, but you've given me the motivation to make one with quick release buckles (Leisure Pro had a nice pic). :)

Just one question, I made mine with loops of webbing, rather than buckles, because I thought buckles would get hung up if it became desirable to release the weight belt while still wearing the bcd.

Could you describe how the suspenders attach to the back portion of the belt?

Dave C

Dave,
I'm not so good with descriptions, so I took some pics for you.
Should be in my photo gallery if everything loaded right. Hope this helps...

Ted

Attachments

• suspenders back.jpg
    suspenders back.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 187
  • suspenders front.jpg
    suspenders front.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 205
  • Webbing Retainers.jpg
    Webbing Retainers.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Dave,
I'm not so good with descriptions, so I took some pics for you.
Should be in my photo gallery if everything loaded right. Hope this helps...

Ted

Thanks! I don't see them in there yet. Perhaps the computer gods didn't cooperate on the upload.

Maybe ScubaBoard restricts uploading until a new member has a few posts, like they restrict their posting of pics into a thread. I don't know, but I'll check your gallery again in a few days.

I appreciate your effort because the pics will really help! :)

Dave C

>>Where can I get some 1000 denier cordura?

Good question. I just checked my old haunts (those that are still in business), and nobody seems to sell the raw materials any more.

I found ahh.biz sells it though, in many colors.

Also, you may want to try privateerdivers. They make custom gear, and may sell you the fabric. They may also give you some good advice.

D

I've been working with the whole grommet thing to make a suspender/standard weight belt that is detachable, by using gromets in the weight belt to attach to the suspenders. The problem I am facing is finding a material that is stiff and strong enough to go thru the gromets to attach the two items together that still can still be (easily) removed (this would be done by first releasing the belt, then pulling the long or in my case very long cord thru the gromets around my waist and presto minus one VERY heavy weight belt). I am tempted to use a thick round rod of nylon about an 1/8th of an inch in diameter, but as that is "very" ridged, I am first going to try the thickest nylon weed whacker line I can find.

My DUI harness is built that same way. It uses a piece of stainless cable with a hard (nylon?) covering. Don't know where you'd get that though.

FYI, the release handle is a loop in the center of the cable. It's got a length of rubber tube over it to make it easier on the hands, and the tube is yellow to make it easier to see. Also, the pockets are attached to the handle with a length of 1/2" wide web, so the weights don't just drop when you pull the handle, but you have to let go of the handle.

D

My DUI harness is built that same way. It uses a piece of stainless cable with a hard (nylon?) covering. Don't know where you'd get that though.

FYI, the release handle is a loop in the center of the cable. It's got a length of rubber tube over it to make it easier on the hands, and the tube is yellow to make it easier to see. Also, the pockets are attached to the handle with a length of 1/2" wide web, so the weights don't just drop when you pull the handle, but you have to let go of the handle.

D

Any pictures of your setup? Sounds interesting.

I do. Check here for the nylon covered cable, called three ring release cable. Look at item M5825 for yellow M5845 for black. 2 USD per yard.

Warning, if you keep looking at this stuff, I suggest that you look seriously into skydiving. 20 USD per jump, no rests in between jumps needed, no heavy gear to lug around. Downside, not much to look at during the skydive besides your altimeter! Hardly any scantly clothed women. Well, occasional bikini jumper in the summer. Anyway, I digress...

I hope this helps.

With kind regards,
Thomas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom