DIY UW Camera Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve2000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am thinking about making an underwater housing for my digital camera. Does anyone know where I can get some of the pins used to push the buttons on the camera? I have access to a machine shop and I can make everything but if I can buy the buttons, I can focus on making the case. I'll design it in Solidworks and make it available for anybody that wants it.

Also, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel, are there any unapparent "gotchya's" that folks have run into when doing this? I work with o-ring seals in my job so I got the sizes and squeeze requirements.

I'm getting stoked about this....now,where are my calipers?

Steve.

You might could get some from one of the places that manufacture cases.

I once found a document that showed you how to make your own using compression fittings from the hardware store, ss rod, and o-rings. I will try and find it again later today, but basically you get a small compression fitting and rod that is about the same size as the id of the fitting. Discard the compression ring and replace with two tight o-rings.

You should also check out this site. There are a few that have built camera housings.

Dive light

I would be interested in plans and would love to see the progress. I too have this project on my list.

Hunter

Great article. Thanks!

I made my own controls, and if you’re a machinist I would recommend you do the same. I started with a 1/8 npt brass fitting from Home Depot. Drilled it out to .250 diameter, and made an aluminum shaft with 2 O ring grooves to fit through.
I made all my controls rotate instead of push, so they are not affected by pressure.

I made my own controls, and if you’re a machinist I would recommend you do the same. I started with a 1/8 npt brass fitting from Home Depot. Drilled it out to .250 diameter, and made an aluminum shaft with 2 O ring grooves to fit through.
I made all my controls rotate instead of push, so they are not affected by pressure.

Sounds reasonable. I'll look at incorporating that into the design. Thanks.

i have been kicking the idea of a housing or a home made dive light there is a company called small parts inc. they have some stainleess and brass bulkhead fittings that are pretty cheap that might help Industrial Supplies also mybe check ebay for a cheep housing that you might be able to steel some of the fittings and controls i have a small shop in my gararge i would be intrested in checking out your design good luck

Thanks for the info. I’ll try to post a drawing on my control design. It’s fairly simply and seems to work good.

Steve you are going to freak out on this!

I have a friend that does this as well. All of his controls are door lock control rods taken from the salvage yard.

Many of the Mazda door lock control rods are stainless.

He gets them for free from damaged doors that can't be salvaged for anything but scrap.

Back
Top Bottom