DIY Tank Strap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thermobryan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok, I've had nothing but troubles with my tank strap. It always comes loose, always. I struggle and pull (getting it wet before going in the water to allow for expansion), and it always become loose half way through the dive. I see some things online for about $60, but I don't want to really spend that much. I was walking around Target the other day and saw a pull-action latch, used for a truck bed. It's just an idea, but has anyone made a tank strap or had the idea of making a locking tank strap? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't have any input on a DIY camstrap but I'm sure you could find a more agressive cam buckle for the strap to really lock it in. It could also be that the strap is slipping through the cam buckle

I never even get mine wet before doing it up and I've never had a tank so much as budge.

just look at the tank strap that scuba pro uses. It is a pain to change for different size tanks, but it is extremely secure. It uses a steel cam action to tighten the strap.

Looking at your profile,new diver with new gear,I guess it's not the strap or the buckle.
My best guess is the threading of the strap thrue the buckle.
Have a look at it,out of the factory most are not done right.

Looking at your profile,new diver with new gear,I guess it's not the strap or the buckle.
My best guess is the threading of the strap thrue the buckle.
Have a look at it,out of the factory most are not done right.

Maybe it's just the strap I received, but I've went over it with my Instructor (going through Advanced right now), and the same problem keeps popping up.

Ok here we go....
With al due respect to your instructor.(I'm one)I've seen this missed by a lot of them,so did I before I became a diveshop owner.Please go back to your BC again,get the strap completely out of the buckle.....Done that,now fold the buckle back(on the hinge side)put the strap (up)thrue the middle slot,go(down) thrue the 1st slot(hinge side)now put the BC on the tank,thighten the strap(yank it)
lift the buckle and hold,put the strap thrue the 1st slot and close the buckle,using the strap as a lever.If you have to pull(very)hard your on the right track,pull untill it closes.NOW you should be good.

Good luck.

Ok here we go....
With al due respect to your instructor.(I'm one)I've seen this missed by a lot of them,so did I before I became a diveshop owner.Please go back to your BC again,get the strap completely out of the buckle.....Done that,now fold the buckle back(on the hinge side)put the strap (up)thrue the middle slot,go(down) thrue the 1st slot(hinge side)now put the BC on the tank,thighten the strap(yank it)
lift the buckle and hold,put the strap thrue the 1st slot and close the buckle,using the strap as a lever.If you have to pull(very)hard your on the right track,pull untill it closes.NOW you should be good.

Good luck.

Thanks. That's what I've been doing, and when I strap it down it's tight as could be. But when I start moving around in the water, it just becomes loose. Might be a simple manufacturing error, who knows.

Hey Brian, what's up? Have you thought about buying a new strap?When do you want to go diving again? Jamie

Yea, I think I'm going to buy a new one. Well, as for the diving, I have my advanced class and a lot of father's day/graduation stuff this weekend so it's not in the cards. I do want to go diving the weekend of the 21-22nd though. Either day just let me know.

Yeah, I'm busy this weekend,too.The weekend of 21-22 looks a lot better. I'll be posting and seeing what the Beach Crabs will be doing on this weekend, keep an eye out and maybe we'll get some diving in. Good luck with your advanced class.

I use a Transpac for both doubles and singles. When I use singles I use two cam bands/straps. If your harness/backplate has slots provided for it, that would be my suggestion. It will eliminate any yaw movement of your tank as well.----Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom