DIY-Speargun leash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seashadow

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Take a 6 foot piece of 3 mm Para-cord Create two end bites one on each end or tie one end directly to the gun. My prefered way is to use a non-weight bearing caribiner on each end in the end bites. Clip one to a D-ring on my BC or weight belt for free divers and the other in the trigger guard or lanyard point on the gun. Now if you let go of the gun or if you have to spend time dispatching a fish your gun doen't end up on the bottom with you on the surface. Loseing a four or five hundred dollar gun sucks.

.....Clip one to a D-ring on my BC or weight belt for free divers and the other in the trigger guard or lanyard point on the gun. .

If you shoot an AmberJack or bigger fish, you could end up being dragged to the ocean floor and dead real quick. You might want to look at a float line, gun reel, or learn to "shoulder your bands" instead of clipping it off to your body. If you have ever fought a 30+ pound fish, there is no way you could unclip the line due to the amount of pressure on the line and you being dragged. Also with an additional 6 feet of line, not including your gun line, and a thrashing ripe yellow tail or grouper, could easily wrap the line 3 times around your fins and legs in under 15 seconds trying to flee from you as it circles.

Now if you are freeshafting, your lanyard may have some merit since the fish is not the source of entanglement. Even then I would still insert a "pinch clip" that we regularly use on our stringers incase of shark pilferage. This will allow you to jettison the gun if it becomes tangled or stuck and you are free to surface.

It was a post to newer Hunters to travel with a case that was DIY..And that are more than likely not going to be hunting much over 20 pound fish. I would never suggest that a novice hunter shoot at something that could harm them. And yes I agree with your float line suggestions but I also wasn't trying to teach spearfishing in a single post. We could open up another thread to discuss the safe and benifitial tips to safe successful spearfishing if anyone would like. I had made travel cases for my guns and was just sharing how I did it.

I should have put a disclaimer up so people would hunt safely. You are correct. Leashes like I discribed are for hunting smaller fish up to about 20 pounds. For kelp and shore diving beginers its just less stuff to haul through the surf.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom