DIY Rolling Gear Case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeangadbois

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Material + cost
-wood planks ( i used 1x4, about 11' of it) 5$
-Wheels x 2 14$
- a handful of screws - had them at home, maybe 2$
- a handful of bolts nuts and washers had them at home, maybe 5$
-Rubermaid tub 19$
(Optional piece of Rope)

Tools:
-Drill
-Drill bits (to make holes and screw screws)
-Saw
-Wrench

The Job:
I started by measuring the inside length of my tub and cutting 2 pieces of wood to fit inside.
I then cut 2 more pieces of wood about 3-4" longer than my first 2.
Then i placed the smaller 2 inside the tub on the edges and the longer ones on the bottom outside edges So that they are laying on top of each other with the tub in between the longer ones should bother be sticking out 3-4 inches on one side.
I then proceed to screw the pieces of wood together. (i put a screw in each corner if each piece of wood - 8 screws)
I then placed my wheels on the outside piece of wood were they were sticking out, marked the holes and proceed to drill them out. I purposely had 2 of my holes from each wheel go through the tub as well just to add extra support but its not necessary.
After the holes were drilled i bolted them on.

Time:
About an hour.

Voila you have a Rolling Gear Case for about 45$ and depending on the size of bag you want.

The optional Rope is to add a longer handle to the Gear Case, just put 2 holes in the tub feed the rope through put a washer on each end of the rope and tie knots.

2013-06-22 19.46.38.jpg2013-06-22 19.46.50.jpg2013-06-22 19.47.03.jpg2013-06-22 19.47.10.jpg2013-06-22 19.47.20.jpg2013-06-22 19.47.27.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom