DIY Reg (Apeks) Service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pao

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Since my problems with my recently serviced ATX Reg (See Apeks ATX 100 Question thread) I have been thinking of going at it alone (reg servicing). I have searched Scubaboard, other forums and the net regarding the matter. I have learned that the dive industry, particularly the equipment manufacturers do not take kindly to DIYers tinkering with their equipment. I have thought about it and in my assessment these will be the things I need to be able to do my own regs.

1. Training/know-how - Is there anybody here in the Philippines who trains or offers courses in reg servicing formally or informally? (I have seen lots of tech/service manuals online but firsthand experience is invaluable)

2. Right tools. I have seen IP gauges, inline 2nd stage adjusters, for sale in local diveshops. Pin spanners for 1st stages and inch-lb torque wrench (I have a 50-100 torque wrench which I use for my bike but this is not suitable) I havent seen. The brass 1st stage holder w/ 1/2 and 3/8 UNF threads I could probably have my neighborhood machine shop turn for me. Other equipment are fairly off the shelf. I have even found a local source for an ultrasonic cleaner under 5K (china made).

3. Service kits - I think this will be the main problem. I do not think the equipment manufacturers sell their service kits to the general public.

I believe that I score above average in mechanical ability (I build my own computers, assemble my own bicycles and generally repair anything in my home). The regs are fairly simple and even elegant in their operation and construction. I have always hated black boxes especially ones that my life depends on. I don't think doing your own regs is cost effective unless you really have a lot of them but I am still considering it for the above reason.

Any thoughts or advice regarding the items I enumerated above will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. And thanks also to those who have replied to my previous questions.

This is not as big a deal as you imagine. Buy Regualtor Savvy and Maintance and Repair of Scuba Regulators and read them first. Then find an old reg to tinker with as a starter, any diaphram stage will have similar internal parts. For Apeks regs, down load the Dive Rite and Zeagle repair information, both have a very good how it's done information and both are Apeks clones (the original Zeagle was an Apeks). Special tools are not really needed or are inexpensive. In line adjusters are nice to have but not necessary. Torque wrenchs are also IMO not needed, this stuff is brass, just treat it that way and go easy. IP gauges are fairly inexpensive and you can DIY one from an old LP hose, some fitting and a gauge from an air compressor, you just need something with an upper range in the 160-180 psi range. I know some don't like the idea, but I use steel fine thread bolts as reg holders. I install them finger tight, back off a little and snugg a nut on the reg to keep things tight, so far, so good. I don't see a need for brass but having one made is not a big deal either.

Hi Richard,
the minimum equipment to work properly:
- IP gauge which is class 1.2 or 1.0 min 4". The class 1.6 or 2.5 doesn't cut it.
It's ok for the beach but not for service.
- Differential Pressure Gauge +/-10mbar for cracking effort testing incl 2nd stage adapter
- 2-3 Torque Wrenches and adpters
- Heated US Cleaner with at least 100W US Power
- Full Set of standard tools
- Full Set of manufacturer specific tools
- Schematics and Updated Maintenance Bulletins
- Lubricants, Cleaner, Consumables
- Parts
- Manufacturer specific and authorized training

The point is not to understand how a reg works, to read a book or to take a class.
The point is to have the manufacturer support and complete spares on hand. Often the standard Kit doesn't do the trick and additional bits and pieces are needed to get a reg to work perfectly. This might be a part as little as a spring which is worn out or corroded parts like a yoke adapter.
There are few people who have the proper training, tools and support by the manufacturers to archive as good as possible result. These regular service updates are essential.

@ Torben Would you recommend any technicians/shops in my area which can assure top notch service? I am in the western manila area.

Hi Richard,

feel free to try our service.
If you want to know more about our setup check our website and blog.

Back
Top Bottom