DIY pressure pot alternatives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You were right.

I've shelved the pressure cooker as an option. Gilldiver called it correctly. Even with a new gasket, the lid would noticeably flex causing leaking . Most I ever got it to was about the equivalent of 15 feet (according to the depth gauge I tested).

So I scrounged around for another alternative and came up with this:

Desktoppressurepot.jpg

I call it my desktop pressure pot. I found some old water filter housings - some are rated up to 125 PSI, and attached a PSI gauge and a QD to attach to my small 13 CF tank. the housing cost all of 5 dollars. Its actually my mkII. I had another one but since I was using a modified o-ring (actually surgical tubing) I wasn't able to engage all the threads when screwing down the lid which led to 2 incidences of - uh... rapid decompression :D

This thing is small with limited things that can fit inside. I use a Gopro HD camera, so it fits nicely inside. So does my computer. So do my lights. I guess its just big enough for my needs :D I've tested my housing to the equivalent depth of 150ft. I've pressurized the pot up to 80psi with no leaks, but since I dont intend to dive up to 180 anytime soon, this is the limit I'll impose on the pot.

Hehe, took the same idea. I saw a video here somewhere, the pressure was built using a syringe water injection. That made it slightly more accessible since we do not own any tanks or compressors. Could elaborately rig it up with a bicycle pump or buy a quick release hose to use with a cylinder when its available, but since we are noob divers going less than 30m's naturally we are only testing up to 4bar for our own equipment. Of course with a nicer pressuring technique can go higher. I am so noob that I dont really have any cool equipment other than my torch to test. This thing was made for my buddy.

PP2.jpg

Well, they don't really sell pressure paint sprayers in my area. Tried out my modified pressure cooker, but the main gasket seems to be shot. Was only able to pressurize to about 13 psi before air was coming out of the side. Anything I can do to "freshen" up the seal? What's a leather gasket?
What kind of pressure cooker? Is it a canner or a cooker?

Never mind. I see you got the project done without it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom