DIY light battery packs - TSA concerns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grab a few of these: Carrying Case for 4 18650 or 2 26650 Batteries - Clear

The thing with the TSA is that the more "commercial" a product looks, the less likely they are to take issue with it. I know it's silly, but that's the way it is unfortunately.

And no offense intended in calling it a ghetto pack. I think it's great that you're doing it, but DIYing stuff at home, and DIYing stuff that will be taken by commercial aircraft is a whole other ball of wax unfortunately.

I like the idea of traveling as light as possible. I know that many Dive Light Canisters are nothing but 18650s and 18650s power most of my stuff. So why not make a hex battery holder that will accommodate a 4S-3P in a hex configuration? I'm a noobie when it comes to 3D printing and even a bigger noob when it comes to CAD, but I thought I would try and suss out onshape.com and see where it lead me. I was working my way through tutorials when I got stuck on a practical, so I did my best, with what little I know to come up with a working battery holder. This is what I have so far:

upload_2019-1-27_20-33-27.png

I'm going to print it tomorrow and see how the batteries clip in. If they're a tight hold, then I'll extend just the center, add a second holder to hold the second set of batteries as well as ends to hold electrical connections. I've almost got my battery spot welder built, but this would obviate that, at least for dive canister batteries. I'll be sure to post the STL file when I do.

I like the idea of traveling as light as possible. I know that many Dive Light Canisters are nothing but 18650s and 18650s power most of my stuff. So why not make a hex battery holder that will accommodate a 4S-3P in a hex configuration? I'm a noobie when it comes to 3D printing and even a bigger noob when it comes to CAD, but I thought I would try and suss out onshape.com and see where it lead me. I was working my way through tutorials when I got stuck on a practical, so I did my best, with what little I know to come up with a working battery holder. This is what I have so far:

I'm going to print it tomorrow and see how the batteries clip in. If they're a tight hold, then I'll extend just the center, add a second holder to hold the second set of batteries as well as ends to hold electrical connections. I've almost got my battery spot welder built, but this would obviate that, at least for dive canister batteries. I'll be sure to post the STL file when I do.

That's awesome!! I have been looking at creating an stl file and finding someplace (either online or a local library) to 3d print, but I haven't had much time to learn the software. I didn't think of a unit to clip the batteries in, but created the top and bottom (with terminal ends and wiring). The clip may be easier to attach the top/bottom. If you have an 18mm (18650 diameter) you can just fit 9 around the outside. Not sure you could get enough space for a clip with 9. For now I have a 3/4" hole through the center to run the wires and two 1/8" threaded rods just outside that hole to hold the top and bottom together.

If your 3d printing works, please post results. I'm just using wood ends for now (actually got out a chunk of oak firewood and used my lathe to make a round that I cut up - amazing how nice a piece of firewood looks when worked). Although with my DIY projects, getting into 3d printing may take it to another level - not sure the wife would be excited about that!

Due to my switch leaking, I've now sealed that hole with epoxy and added a reed switch (with relay type circuit). I have to model a slide holder for a magnet - as the weather forecast says we're likely to have the coldest day in 5 years, I probably won't be working in my workshop for a few days so that will have to wait. I have some pvc board that I'll route to make a nice slide box - I'll probably epoxy a couple metal strips at each end to hold the magnet on/off. Have to protect the metal from the salt water - the magnet I have is epoxy coated.

For printability it might be good to make the holder three pieces. The ends duplicates of the piece posted here and a central "rod" to interconnect would cut down on required support material. After they are printed glue them together. One of the you tubers I watch uses some fancy 3d print specific glue, 3d gloop or something. But it essentially welds the plastic together...

It's going to be printed in 5 pieces: 2 bases, 2 bat tabs and a spacer.

full?d=1548859544.png

full?d=1549132247.png

full?d=1549132247.png

full?d=1549132247.png

I'm also going to print a custom Battery box...

full?d=1549033094.png

full?d=1549033094.png

Did this work out?

I'm working on options for a DR Slimline pack...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom