DIY hookah system.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Howard, This fstbttms guy either sells this type of equipment and your idea is cutting into his profits or already spent way too much for his set up and now wants to not feel like a jerk for doing so. There is no difference between the rubber used in real diving hose and oxygen hose. I would however start with new hose so as not to worry about what may have been passed through it before. I am still not sure what you mean by "food grade hose" but if it is what I think it is you may want to stick with something more durable that also has a higher working pressure.

Food Grade means it's safe to come into contact with food. Like the lubricants you probably use on your helmet's orings on the neck dam or other parts on dive helmets or scuba regulators that are not for oxygen service. (Like Dow Corning 111 Oring Silicone Lubricant is "food grade" approved by the FDA and NSF)

---------------

Just so I'm making my statement clear, and not to sound cavalier about the whole hose issue.

I am not for a moment suggesting that ANY hose will do. The hose required must be properly pressure rated, and have adequate couplings on the ends to handle the pressure. Plastic hose with a low PSI rating and some worm drive clamps to hold the fittings on the end are by no means what I am suggesting. I am just replying to the Grade E hose which is certainly not required by any means. Hose that is approved for coming into contact with humans IS definitely required though.

If we were going to live our lives based on military specifications, I'd have a $1,000,000 toilet in my apartment. Right?

Last edited:
Yeah, that what it is. I feel stupid for spending too much money on the gear that keeps me alive every day while I'm earning a living. Because the difference between breathing hose and whatever you use is what- a buck a foot? Friggin' ponderous.
rolleyes.gif

The topic here is how to make a homemade hookah system.

When I dive hardhat, I use a quincy compressor with a large volume tank, a three part umbilical which cost $6 a foot, a Kirby Morgan 37 Dive Helmet, and have a dive supervisor and a tender, and an emergency gas supply... But that's irrelevant to the topic at hand. Isn't it.

The question appears to have been adequately answered, and your opinion is quite clear, and noted.

The entire Thomas Air PAC line (including the model you linked to) had been out of production for over a year while the company relocated its manufacturing facility. But now they are building them again and are currently filling backorders for their big customers. Last I heard was they will be available for individual retail purchase in the fall.

BTW- I have never heard anything good about the Gast compressors. Just sayin'.

I have a few of these... They work fine... They were not designed to be in the salt water enviroment. The compressor itself works great, but you must have the correct pulley size and motor. If not you will overwork them. To much heat from excessive pumping will wear these compressors out quickly... PCA-10 model most widely used for gold dreding operations. Easy to fix, parts readily available. Proper maintenance must be done and adequate cleaning after use. Not for salt water use... If one wants to use this anywhere near the salt water you might start off with installing an anode to prevent corrosion. Or just buy one designed to do so, like brownie... Although very expensive.

I have used el cheapo hose on one of my boat Hull cleaning rigs for Sailboats in San Diego Bay and it works well but your results may vary. Some of the cheaper hoses have stinky plasticizers supposedly, I havnt ran across this but its usually a vinyl-type smell. El Cheapo hose bought at the dive shop Harbor Freight holds up well but if I was using it everyday in commercial work I would go with 33HB or that vinyl dive hose. For fun the Dive shop Harbor Freight also has nice volume tanks for Hookah rigs, these volume tanks are easily converted into Shallow Water diving helmets by cutting off the end and doing shoulder cuttouts, adding weights. These are good for hours of poolbottome fun. The best hookah regulator/mask I believe that exists is the AGA FFM, this mask breaths well with excellant WOB down to 30 PSI over-bottom pressure. USN agrees and uses it for their enclosed space diving system. For vintage fun you cant beat diving with the Jack Browne/Desco mask if you want that 60s Navy Diver experience. Its a free-flow mask so it wastes more air than demand system but its nice to have when you are scrubbing away on the hull !

I spoke with some at thomas the other day. They said they will not build air-pac compressors any longer. They said they still produce the pump for the J sink airline guy, but they are not selling any gasoline powered compressors any longer.

I spoke with some at thomas the other day. They said they will not build air-pac compressors any longer. They said they still produce the pump for the J sink airline guy, but they are not selling any gasoline powered compressors any longer.
The Air Pac line includes mostly electric compressors, including the Thomas 1020. Are you saying that none of these compressors will be produced any longer? Also, can you supply the contact info for Thomas that you used to get this info? Thanks.

Well color me purple and call me Prince, got my hopes up for nothing, figured a DIY Hookah thread with 3 pages would have some good intel for oiless compressor specs, only to find 3 pages of disgruntled debate.

Well color me purple and call me Prince, got my hopes up for nothing, figured a DIY Hookah thread with 3 pages would have some good intel for oiless compressor specs, only to find 3 pages of disgruntled debate.
Yeah? What is it you wanted to know, chief?

---------- Post Merged at 07:45 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:04 AM ----------

I spoke with some at thomas the other day. They said they will not build air-pac compressors any longer.
BTW- the Thomas 1020 (the favored compressor used in the hull cleaning industry and part of the Air Pac line) is being produced again and is available to the public at new, high price (about $675 last time I checked) through a limited number of distributors. Here is the contact info for the two distributors in California:

Nor Cal Controls
http://norcal4air.com/
NCC4AIR@PACBELL.NET

Chester Paul Co.
http://www.chesterpaul.com/
Rortiz@chesterpaul.com

compressor.jpg

Thanks fst, I was just having a little fun, pretty much doing my own DIY system without the expensive official hookah pumps, and before I make my own thread regarding another hookah, figured I'd do a bit of searching around. With my training I'm well aware of what to use, not use, etc, just looking for part particulars, etc.

Last edited:
Thanks fst, I was just having a little fun, pretty much doing my own DIY system without the expensive official hookah pumps, and before I make my own thread regarding another hookah, figured I'd so a bit of searching around. With my training I'm well aware of what to use, not use, etc, just looking for part particulars, etc.
I've been building my own hookahs for 18 years. If you have any questions, feel free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom