DIY HID light & AirSpeed Press advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello!

I'm new to diving, but from reading posts on this board it appears to me that building my own HID divelight is the best option for my night dive needs. I can't afford a new one, so I'm looking to build the typical 10w canister HID divelight with a goodman handle.

My plan is to first buy the Divelight Companion by Airspeed Press ($30) and then follow their instructions for building the HID "for as little as $125" according to their describtion (assuming I read it correctly): http://www.airspeedpress.com/newlitebook.html

First though I'd like some advice from people here who have already built their own can lights. Please let me know the following:

1. Do you think the Divelight Companion is the way to go?
2. Approx. how much did your light end up costing to build?
3. How long did it take to build?
4. Any additional advice? (easiest/cheapest ways to acquire the required materials and such)

Thanks.

-floater

I have the book, it's a big help if you plan to build your own light. I have built 2 so far. Both were halgon not HID. The reasons were cost.To do an HID you will spend more than $125 unless you can find the bulb and balast really cheep. I have about $150 into my latest 50W halgon. My can took about 4 hours to make. The light head on the other hand I spent about 8 to 10 hours on. Keep in mind that I designed and built mine from scratch. The first light head I made had only about 2 hours into. The diffrence between the 2 is the first one is a 35W and good to about 80' the second is 50W and has been tested to over 300'.

The Airspeed book is the best $20 you'll spend on learning about choosing, maintaining, or building a UW light. It answered alot of questions I had about not only light construction, but other cannister type projects as well. I definitely would advise you to get a copy.

Also, check out PadiPro's dive light discussion website at

Divelight@groups.msn.com

It's a great discussion group that has addressed anything about lights you can think of (especially HID, lately)

WD

Back
Top Bottom