DIY Goodman Handle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsater:
What did you make your light head from?

The lighthead is a sunspot from Dive Rite, I didn't make it. I just bought this light from one of my instructors, he moved up to a salvo and sold this one to me for what it cost to rebuild it.

So rather than blow another 69.00 (55 on ebay) for a goodman type handle I did what you did.

Really rather easy too. I've since cleaned it up more and sanded it all down so it looks pretty damn nice now. I love ABS and PVC, so easy to work with!

runamonk:
Thanks for the idea dsater. I used your same idea basically and created my own goodman handle tonight for a total cost of about 10 bucks and couple hours of work.

Did you use ABS for yours, since it is black and doesn't look painted? What method have you guys used for heating it, just throw it in the oven for a little until flexible? What temp? (I'm assuming PVC and ABS might have different heating points?)
gomi_

gomi_otaku:
Did you use ABS for yours, since it is black and doesn't look painted? What method have you guys used for heating it, just throw it in the oven for a little until flexible? What temp? (I'm assuming PVC and ABS might have different heating points?)
gomi_

It's actually PVC painted black. I used a Benzomatic torch to heat it up, formed around a gloved hand and then let it cool. Once cooled I sanded it and painted it. An oven would probably be a little better to use so you don't catch the PVC on fire like I did but either way will work.

Hope that helps

Mine is actually (black) ABS. I've done two types of heating. for the intial heating I put mine in the oven at 350 for about 5 minutes, this made it really plyable so I could wrap it around my glove. Then just run it under cold water and it locks in place. I did minor changes with a mini butane torch I picked up from fred meyers in the hobby area.

After you get it how you want it, sand it down to make it look smooth and such and you're done. :)

I would imagine a heat gun would work well. They are relatively inexpensive and I already use one to change the blades out of my composite hockey sticks.

Do you find losing the bar across the palm of your hand helps?

Josh

Yeah a heat gun would work quite well. Well since this is my first HID and my first goodman handle I find it works great without the bar across the palm. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom