DIY Full Face Mask for Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one of the Ist FFM's. I dove it quite a bit until it spooked me one day. Maybe I got spooked is a better way of putting it.

I was doing a very low stress dive and just inhaling and exhaling through my nose. My breathing was relatively slow and I was not deep breathing. During the beginning of the dive I felt fine while swimming out to the spot. After I got to the area where I was headed to and got very relaxed, my breathing slowed and I noticed things got a little "dreamy" for lack of a better term. I just felt "Off". For some reason it occurred to me that i might be rebreathing my exhalations in that mask and not getting a good gas exchange in the mask.

I dumped the air from the mask by breaking the seal and letting the air purge out by my temple. I did this for about 15 sec as I started swimming back in. Before I had even begun my accent, my head cleared and I started feeling "Right" again.

I don't know if I got this feeling because of the mask, the way I was breathing, or both. I do know it has never happened when using a mask and separate regulator though. I'm pretty sure that I was breathing some sort of Co2 buildup in the dead spaces of the mask that weren't fully circulating air. I wasn't but about 40' so I don't think I was Narced.

I'm leery of diving the mask now so it sits at home mostly. It was really nice in cold water though.

I'd might try an AGA mask or Ocean Reef with the oral/nasal cup though. I think there is better exchange of air in those masks and you don't end up with volume of stagnant air.

Be careful and have fun.

I found a capillary tube that I will try out to allow the eye pocket to pressure equalize with the mount-nose pocket. Hope it doesn't create too much of a problem with fogging up the mask window on the inside. I'll try the tube without installing it thru the cavity walls.

Can you tell me what you meant by 1st FFM? What brand? Dive mask or snorkel type? Did it have an attached snorkel tube on it for inhaling and exhaling?
Thanks
Charlie

EYE ESS TEE

I S T

Not “one”

Can you tell me what you meant by 1st FFM? What brand? Dive mask or snorkel type? Did it have an attached snorkel tube on it for inhaling and exhaling?
Thanks
Charlie
Yes, it was an I S T brand, scuba, like one previously pictured. There was no oral/nasal cup so all exhalations mixed in the mask. I think the large volume of the mask combined with the shallow respirations caused a build up of Co2 which could have gotten me in trouble if i didn't recognize something was not right and vent the mask.

Be careful with fill face masks.

I thought he meant "first" as well. Nice to get a chuckle first thing in the morning.

I thought he meant "first" as well. Nice to get a chuckle first thing in the morning.
With only the first letter capitalized, that is probably how everyone read it. Autocorrect strikes again?

With only the first letter capitalized, that is probably how everyone read it. Autocorrect strikes again?

Hmm...

"1" looks like this - "I" looks like this. On my computer, quite dissimilar. Human autocorrect perhaps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom