DIY Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tommygun,

I can't say I ever had a problem like that. I've hooked the leads up to the camera backwards and got no video at all but once they were hooked up correctly everything worked fine.

If everything worked good using a different brand monitor I would say it's the monitor.

Scott

Hello,

I've been reading the list for a little while now and have gotten some great tips, especially from Scott (Padipro), for building my first cannister light. I used many of Scott's great ideas from Scott, with a few modifications of my own, like a 37W IR MR16 bulb (equivalent to 50W output, but uses significantly less amps).

Anyway, I thought I'd share a few pictures. So far it's watertight in a tub of water, but soon I'll test it on a lobster hunt here in San Diego.

Thanks,

Andrew

Great job. What did you use for the canister tube, ABS? Where did you get the bulb you talk about? I'd like to pick up a few myself for both the canister and the video ligkts.

Scott

Scott,

I'm glad you like the looks of the light!

The bulb I used is a 37MR16/IR/FL/40 (see http://www.sylvania.com/business/news/pdfs/hal012r1.pdf). Check the specs and you'll see that Sylvania also makes a 50W IR bulb, which is much brighter than a 65W regular MR16!

I found only one website that sold it (http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/ecart/catpages0527/2591.htm) for about $10, but minimum order of $30.

I found that Lamps Plus in San Diego had it for $15, so I got it from them. More money for the IR and buying local, but I figured it was worth it. I think the 40 degree flood may be too wide and will look for a 25 degree (again, look at the specs on the above PDF). What do you think?

Yes, I used ABS (from Home Depot) because it was readily available and already black, though I wish it came a half inch or so larger in diamter so I could have squeezed in a single battery; I was too lazy to heat and stretch PVC as you did.

Thanks,

Andrew

I've found I can get the sylvania 12 V MR16 lamps at Home depot.
The have 35, 50 and 75 watt, in 17 and 25° beam widths.

I'm using a 40° flood 50watt Solux lamp right now for use with my video camera.

It gives a whiter light (3700°K) than the Sylvania (3200°K which are on the yellow side), and gives better color .

Mike D

Mike,

The Solux bulb temperature sounds good and may try it out. The reason I went with the Sylvania IR bulb is that it consumes less power, as their the 37W produces the same output as a 50W. Thanks,

Andrew

The Solux lamps were produced for display cases, usually for jewelry, watches, rings etc.
White light gives better color I presume.
The Solux mr 16 is available in 35 and 50 watt, in 3700 and 4100°K temps.

MikeD

Might be a stupid question, but regarding the bulbs,
Would one of the 37W xeon bulbs sold at Auto parts stores
for about $8 work on underwater lights?

PRL once bubbled...
Might be a stupid question, but regarding the bulbs,
Would one of the 37W xeon bulbs sold at Auto parts stores
for about $8 work on underwater lights?

I've always been of the opinion that the only stupid question is the one not asked.

I don't see why the bulb wouldn't work. It's obviously going to be a 12 volt bulb and as long as it's sealed water tight should burn just fine. The only problem I can see is coming up with a reflector for the bulb that will fit into a light head that can take the heat. I tried using a standard plastic 2 "D" cell dive light at first along with the plastic reflector that came with it to hold the MR-16 bulb in place and that just melted into a molten blob of plastic during the dive. I then made a light head out of PVC tubing and my own connector to hold the bulb. While it was perfectly water tight and worked great during the dive it melted the Plexiglas lens I made. I tried to grind down a reflector from a larger bulb to use with a 100 watt Halogen bulb I had that didn't come with a reflector when I first made the Mag-Lite head but grinding glass is difficult and takes a very long time to do it right.

If you come up with an idea for a reflector that will fit a Mag-Lite and work with your xeon bulb please let me know where you found it. I'd love to try my light with that 100 watt bulb.

Scott

Thanx for the tips.
I didnt realize that heat would be such a problem.
I'll try to find one of those aluminum mini aerosol cans of perfumes, the top is about the size of a MAG light head and after some polishing should make a nice parabolic reflector. As for the lens, I'll probably go with glass.
It might take a while but I'll post pictures of my progress.

Once again
Thanx

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom