DIY Dive Computer Security System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shugar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This was originally posted at the PPD and for CLA, but you guys are free to order your own, patent pending, i don't accept paypal hehehehe

This is a dirt-cheap way to help secure your $$$ dive comp... the inspiration came to me when i was buying my mosquito and a guy walked in asking to buy a stinger because it fell off the boat in apo reef! - i thought to myself: "hell no!"

so i rigged up this simple DCSS (dive comp security system) and after i'll discuss how it's used
IMG_1791.jpg

first find a bungee cellphone lanyard (these are available anywhere, mine was an expensive P50 [<US$1]!). i suggest this vs. regular dive shop bungee as this one already comes complete with a quick release clip and nylon cord.
IMG_1805.jpg

i used mine out-of-the-box until the cheap metal corroded to nothing, this took several dives. if you want to avoid the hassle, pry the metal clip away from the bungee. loop and secure the bungee with zip ties; burn off the ends to avoid fraying
IMG_1803.jpg

i purposely left my QR clip hanging on the metal ring, it has rust right now, and i will soon replace this with either a sturdier keychain ring or zip tie...
IMG_1798.jpg
IMG_1792.jpg

loop the nylon cord around the comp buckle the same way it would go around a cellphone (these nylon cords are designed to carry the weight of a dangling cellphone, they're pretty strong)
IMG_1800.jpg
IMG_1801.jpg

when donning/ doffing a wetsuit or rashguard, you can unclip the computer (recommended in a "safe" place) or let the computer hang, grip it in your hand and wear your exposure suit as normal
IMG_1811.jpg
IMG_1814.jpg
IMG_1815.jpg

the computer can be detached from the system via the quick release when you're rinsing it or wish to put it aside/away at the end of a dive day
IMG_1813.jpg

the above item is available on ebay.ph for P500 (includes delivery w/in metro areas) hehehehe

hope you never have to walk into a shop looking to replace a sunken computer!

Jag

PS
this is not designed to keep your comp safe from a determined attempt by a great white to take it off your wrist... it's simply a way to keep it handy and avoid frustratingly deadly accidents like the one i mentioned above...

PS2
and yes, i know, the bungee design is not DIR hahahahahahahaha

A simple alternative.
Also makes a good lens protector. Make a 2"" wide sleave out piece of wet suit material or the cuff off of neoprene dry mitts.
Cut a round hole in the sleeve big enough to fit watch/computer face in.
Put on watch/computer, slide sleeve over the watch. Rotate the sleeve so hole aligns with watch face. Slide it back to cover watch face and protect crystal.

Regards

Mike D

Cut straps off rubber boot
drill 4 holes through stubs of straps
pass bungee through these
tie knot

Back
Top Bottom