DIY Canister Light and Lighthead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was hoping to touch the recharger thing now I just purchased two nimh 6volt 4000 mah I plan to run them in a parallel series circuit sisnce im cheap
"reason i am building a light and not buying one" i dont want to have to shell out 50 bucks for a charger I actually located an old charger for a racecar battery that charges at 300 mah can i simply hook the batteries up to this and run it for 26 hours if i can, do i simply connect negatives to positives

If you want 12VDC, you'll need to run those packs in series with each other.

Series Batteries = Add the voltages together and the Ah rating stays the same (assuming all of the batteries have the same rating)

In your case you would end up with a 12VDC/4000mAh pack

- OR -

Parallel Batteries = Add the Ah ratings and the voltage stays the same (assuming all of the batteries supply the same volatage)

In your case you would end up with a 6VDC/8000mAh pack

=======================================

The math becomes a little more sneaky when mixing and matching, but hopefully that will help.

-Frank

Nimh batteries charge nothing like a Lead Acid. You really need a peak detection charger for max battery life and a maximum charge. NimH batters charge up to a peak voltage and then the voltage actually drops a little at full charge. Smart chargers detect this and switch to trickle charge mode at the peak point.

That slow charger will probably work fine. Unless you sit there and graph it you won't be able to tell when they're at that peak point. I would just watch the voltage and cut off the charger when it stops rising. Another poor man's tactic is to feel the batteries. NimH batteries will get warm once they're fully charged, since they can't absorb any more juice.

Jason

Problems......

No Sealcon products here. I'm going to keep looking but it looks like I won't find anything even remotely similar.

I do have a fitting that will work to create a hole for the cable to go through but the hole is larger than the cable. I have some ideas pirculating about how to keep the inside of the lamp dry but I would like some input about how to seal the hole.

R..

I used a special waterproof fitting I found at homedepot. It is a 1/2 inch bolt with a rubber center that the cable goes through when tightended it squeezes the cable. I then drilled a hole in the lighthead and put the bolt through and attached a rubber gasket and nut and washer and nut. I covered it all in silicone caulk before assembling just to make sure it was waterproof. This has only been tested in a five gallon bucket since I havnt finished the canister due to concerns about the charger as you read above. So far the lighthead is dry and working.

Here are some pictures of mine. May not be very pretty but I have had it down to over 100 feet many times and it has yet to leak. Most of the components were found in the plumbing section and wires are routed through a rubber hose from automotive parts. Lamp is 50 watt and is operated through a magnet and reed switch run through a car headlamp relay inside the handpiece. Lens is plastic and does not melt if you do not leave it on too long out of the water. Batteries are 12 volt gel cels picked up at a surplus store

grf88:
Here are some pictures of mine. May not be very pretty but I have had it down to over 100 feet many times and it has yet to leak. Most of the components were found in the plumbing section and wires are routed through a rubber hose from automotive parts. Lamp is 50 watt and is operated through a magnet and reed switch run through a car headlamp relay inside the handpiece. Lens is plastic and does not melt if you do not leave it on too long out of the water. Batteries are 12 volt gel cels picked up at a surplus store

Like your light. What are the chances of getting more info on building the light head?
Thanks
Charles
On the Island

I've got the batteries, light and charger. Next step is to assemble the pack and mill the canisters.

The more success stories I read the better.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom