DIY Canister Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue15

Contributor
Reaction score
I have for sale the parts to make battery canisters. The kit includes a canister made of schedule 120 PVC pipe, dark gray in color. It will have a PVC plug glued (cold weld) on one end. A top cover made of solid 1 inch Poly carbonite clear plastic, professionally machined to fit the open end, and all the necessary o-rings to seal the canister and modified M@G light.

The canister will be shipped ready for your finishing touches...adding your gland, draw latches, switch, or whatever you want to do to it. The kit does not include any of these parts, just the canister, lid and o-rings

The canister fits this battery... http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=2219

Canister cost shipped to your door on the continental US via USPS Priority mail will be between $65 and $80.00 depending on the size of the order (the more orders I get the cheaper it will be.

This is what you will get...
**2 each buna -N o-rings in sizes 227, 134 and 124
**canister made of sched 120 PVC Pipe with sealed base. dimensions are ID 2 3/16 inch, OD 2 13/16, 7 2/8 long (inside depth is 6 7/8 inches) I can make the canister longer for a slightly higher fee.
**lid made of 1 inch poly carb clear plastic, custom machined to provide snug fit in the top of the canister.

I NEED A COMITTMENT FOR 5 ORDERS BEFORE I CAN SHIP TO MEET MINIMUM SHOP REQUIREMENTS FOR THE LID

I will not order any parts untill I have the minnnnnimum committment. This means shipping will be delayed 7 to 10 days depending on the turnaround time of the plastics shop.

Pic of completed light is from the first run.

PM me with your reservations for quickest response.

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• 100_2177.jpg
    100_2177.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 299
  • 100_2181.jpg
    100_2181.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 258
  • lid 001.jpg
    lid 001.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 274
  • canister 1.jpg
    canister 1.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 377
  • lid 003.jpg
    lid 003.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 275
I just want to comment on the kit.

I built my light based on the kit from one of Steve's first batches and have to say - it's a very well done DIY kit! I used custom 14.8 V Li-Ion battery made of 8 (4s2p) 18650 4400 mAh elements; it fits perfect in the can. Thick walls are great for large latches. The whole thing is so tough and robust - you don't have to worry about dropping it or leaving it in a gear bag through airport check-in.

Thanks again, Steve for such a great job!

How does this work with the mag lite, will that need to be water proof as well what kind of retrofitting does this require.

I dont need battery-specific, how much would just the canister cost? i want to put SPOT epirb, flares, vhf, and/or other lost at sea items

This is not a complete kit. It is only the raw canister, o-rings and CNC lid. By finishing it with waterproof glands, latches and the light head of your choice, you will have a canister light. If you just need the canister part, you will only need to add latches. The price is for the canister and lid. The o-rings are sort of a bonus as to get the proper o-rings you have to buy a large number so I am making that easy. The price of the canister is the same regardless of what you want to use it for. The lid comes with no holes drilled so if you wnat to use it as a waterproof container you can.

The o-rings I will send with the kit will make the mag light water tight. you still need to add a gland to the tail of the mag light and upgrade the lense. I have a lense for sale also. here is a link

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gear-equipment-classifieds/280968-custom-cnc-stepped-lense.html

Steve

Last edited:
For many the canister build is the hard part. For me the electronics is the hard part. I would also be willing to trade the raw canister for the electronics (LED with driver - at least 700 lumen - and reed switch). This needs to fit in the d size mag light.

I still need a comittment of at least 5 kits to do this.

Steve

It would be sweet to put together a full-on "HowTo" article building the light from scratch to finish. It seems like there's a handful of extra parts after the can that I would probably like some pointers on, i.e. what latches and where to get them, the necessary electronics and the like.

Also, is there a convenient way to add a goodman handle to the mag light or will this also be a trip to the machine shop?

At one time I offered a complete kit but there was no interest. I guess it's because everybody has their own budget and likes/dislikes. I did have a good response on the canister parts like I am offering now. These parts were the hardest for me to find and when I came across some good bulk prices, I decided to pass this savings along.

There are alot of threads out there on assembly and where to get parts. Judt do a search.

For a goodman handle, I use an old piece of neoprene slit to accept the light and attach it to my hand or wrist with velcro straps. There are several pics of various DIY handles in the DIY section also. It's all up th your imagination.

Steve

At one time I offered a complete kit but there was no interest. I guess it's because everybody has their own budget and likes/dislikes. I did have a good response on the canister parts like I am offering now. These parts were the hardest for me to find and when I came across some good bulk prices, I decided to pass this savings along.

There are alot of threads out there on assembly and where to get parts. Judt do a search.

For a goodman handle, I use an old piece of neoprene slit to accept the light and attach it to my hand or wrist with velcro straps. There are several pics of various DIY handles in the DIY section also. It's all up th your imagination.

Steve

With a little tugging and pulling, you can fit a D cell mag lite body into an Oxycheq hand sock. Works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom